24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Very Bad Gas Milage... Bad Diesel?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2005, 09:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very Bad Gas Milage... Bad Diesel?

So a few days ago after I filled up... i noticed my motor was feeling like it was loosing power and it sounded rough.. and i got 200 miles out of a full tank!!!
So i took it to the dealer.. (under warranty) and they ran a check... no codes... no issues on the diagnostic, fuel filter was clean as a whistle.. just changed my oil a few days prior.. Fuel pressure was stellar.. they seem to think i got a bad tank of gas.. as when i would drain the fuel seperater it would **** out like a 20 OZ coke bottle of what smelled like watered down gasoline... did not even smell like diesel.. so they told me to run the tank out which i did after adding some lucas fuel treatment.. which seemed to aid flushing out whatever i was collecting in bottles.. and then when i got down to 1/8 of a tank i filled up from a Sunoco and added like 20 oz of lucas fuel treatment... sounds and rough running are gone... but im projecting not as bad but less than average milage... so my question is... should I need more than one tank to flush out whatever messed it up or should i be looking into other causes of the bad milage.. honestly it does feel alot better i just think that that last 1/8th of crap is causing this.. any ideas?
Old 05-28-2005, 11:53 PM
Banned

Just run a couple of tanks through and then change your fuel filter. Your mileage should go back up.
Old 05-30-2005, 11:06 PM

I have had the same experience at different staions. I normally buy it at Shell, but one day I was low and stopped at a Gas America, I filled up and drove home about 60 miles at the time of the incedent. It ran like it had low power and acted very unresponsive. When the tank ran out I refilled with Shell one day later it ran fine again. So I guess be carefull where you buy it ehhh.
Old 05-31-2005, 01:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Really bad fuel can take more than one tank to restore! And forget the Lucas....it just causes the H2O to drop out of your fuel and sit in your tank.
You need an emulsifier to break up water drops and carry them through the fuel system as tiny droplets that won't hurt anything. Power Service makes one...not sure where to get it.

Give it time...as long as it seems to be getting better. And find a busy diesel station that turns the fuel in their tanks often!

RJ
Old 06-01-2005, 03:50 PM

thanks for the replys.. i got the bad fuel at a liberty station for what its worth.
the engine seems to be back to normal now and then some..usually go to BP or Sunoco have not had issues with that fuel