24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

vaccum /power steerin pump

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 10:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
vaccum /power steerin pump

My pump is leaking. how hard is a replace or rebuild.. I'm a chevy guy so this seems a little more complicated than the fix on my small block. Is it something I can do?
Old 05-11-2007, 10:09 AM

go to www.fixinrams.com you can order everything you need--

you have to remove the vaccum pump and power steering pump as a unit--then separate the two pumps and rebuild the vaccum pump--reassemble and re-install--it's nice to have a helping hand to reinstall--the gasket likes to not stay in place as you're trying to install it---chris
Old 05-11-2007, 02:50 PM

Not only am I getting the oil from the seal leak but the power steering fluid is getting low about every 2 weeks. Is that from the same seal????
Old 05-12-2007, 12:44 AM

NO if my memory serves me right---the power steering reservoir is sealed to the pump and the pump shaft is inserted into the vaccuum pump----if it's leaking it's the seal at the reservoir to ps pump or the hoses or cracked power steering box..........chris
Old 05-12-2007, 08:55 AM

I changed my P-Steering pump last night, as mine was making very little pressure( could not use steering and brakes at the same time, and it was groaning to beat the band) I took the PS off, and left the vacuum pump on, I used a bent ratchet to get the rear upper bolt, and got all 3 from under the truck except the upper closest to the fender bolt which I got from the top, a 15mm stubby wrench was handy as well. The hardest part was aligning the pump into the "notch". I rotated the pump as close as I could by feeling inside the pump to see where the "groove "was. I then used a 21mm socket and ratchet to bar the engine over (via the alternator nut) while pushing on the back of the PS pump, it slid in so slick I never felt it, the rest was gravy.. Dont forget to replace the high pressure line o-ring and lub it with oil prior to installing the line into the back of the pump, otherwise it could "tear" BTW the wrench size is 18mm. The whole job took just over an hour, since I was done early I did a valve adjustment as well