24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Unusual long lift pump life???

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 08:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unusual long lift pump life???

I just know the some stuff about the 24v's (i drive a 12v) and it seems that the lift pumps go bad quite often, leading to vp44 failures. I am just curious cause my uncles 2000 2500 ctd has 205k and was acting up lately and had symtoms of lack of fuel, and he knows nothing about it, and has never replaced the lp (he has owned it since new), long story short I told him to change the fuel filter first, then if that didn't work we'd put a lp in over thanksgiving. Well the new filter seemed to do the trick, works fine for now , the filter had 60-80k on it, poor poor truck .

So is it unusaul to have 205k on a lp and have it still kicking???
Thanks, Tim.
By the way the truck sees minimal pulling, just interstate miles, lots of them with a couple hundred lbs in the bed.
Old 11-16-2005, 08:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I am no expert.....but i believe your uncle has smashed the old record of lp life! I think 205k on 1 lp has only happened once....and that would be your uncle. I dont think i have heard of a lp last over 100k. I know i dont have the original on and my truck is at 72k now. would be a bad investment for your uncle to get a fuel pressure guage.
Old 11-16-2005, 08:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There's a few of them out there. I've seen VP's go nearly 350K before they took a dive. Wish that was the norm! My lift pump is original on my 01 and I have 83K on it.
Old 11-16-2005, 08:57 PM

Ya I am sure his fuel pressure is peanuts, but if I were to install a gauge, he would never look at. "If it ain't broke don't fix it" is his motto, but 205k is the record??, well i'm sure he'll keep racking up the miles on it, till it dies. I put the edge Ez on it, and thats when it started to act up, but he just kept driving it ( that was a couple months ago) until recently when it started dieing alot, but with the new fuel filter he said its back to normal i guess. poor poor vp44
Old 11-16-2005, 11:28 PM

I just ordered my 4th LP. The first one was replaced under warrantee at 15k. The last 2 only went 10k and 12k. The truck has 38k miles total on it...
Old 11-17-2005, 07:45 AM

Mine lasted 120K miles. If your uncles truck started acting up when you put the EZ in I would think that it isn't running enough fuel pressure. I am just guessing though. I would try to find a pressure gauge and check the fuel pressure. If you uncle wouldn't look at a gauge then he should look into getting on of those idiot lights. It comes on when your fp is below 6 psi I think. Not what I would recommend, but it is better then nothing.
Old 11-17-2005, 12:19 PM

Pump

Mine has 180k on it, original LP and VP. In fact I haven't put a wrench on the motor to do anything but PM work. Now front end, brakes, heater core, A/C, switches (light, seat, window, locks) different story. Tranny gave me the lock up problem once, changed the fluid and it has ran fine since. That was at 80k, now I change the fluid every 40k or so. Oh and my Dad's 01 has 150k on it with no problems, except the POS dash!
Old 11-17-2005, 12:56 PM

If he wont look at a gauge get him one of those lights that comes on at 5psi or so.
**** VP44's are just to expensive to mess with.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:43 PM

Ya, I have thought about installing him the dummy light, but see what happens i guess.

I just get a kick out of the fact that it still has the factory lp with 205k, well it has factory everything in it, except tranny at 160k, and is going down the road, no fuel additives, no nothing, just fills it up and goes, oil changes every 8k . Cummins are tough.

The interesting thing is that it would die often while driving at about 45mph, he said it would constantly search for which gear to be (as if it did not have enough fuel), then die. A new fuel filter and seems to be doing alright.
Old 11-17-2005, 02:55 PM

If it was searching for a gear I wouldn't think that a fuel filter would fix it. Even if the engine was not running strong that wouldn't cause the tranny to "hunt" and then stall. I bet this will only be a temporary fix, actually I am surprised it help at all. The big problem is still lurking!
Old 11-17-2005, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by farmer dave
I bet this will only be a temporary fix, actually I am surprised it help at all. The big problem is still lurking!
Ya my geuss is that the lp is one its way out.
Old 11-18-2005, 03:19 PM

If you got it restarted fairly easily after the fuel filter change, then the lift pump is still working. SNOKING
Old 11-18-2005, 07:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

I think what we're witnessing boys is how all our CTD's were supposed to work. Chances are this thing will go the 1/2 million without anything more than oil and filter changes...he probably runs it out of fuel regularly too.
Old 11-18-2005, 08:08 PM

LOL, no I don't think he's ever run it out of fuel, but when he does change filters, just cranks the living crap out of till it starts. This truck see's a lot less maintaince than most people give their vehicals.
It seems that people might over react about the IP and LP issues on the 24v's but I don't, his just seems to keep on going.
Six in a row makes it go
Old 11-20-2005, 10:00 PM

Pressure

After 53k miles I just got my fp gage working yesterday. 8 psi at idle. I will
order a fass II tomorrow and "pass" on another Carter, thank you.

Quick Reply: Unusual long lift pump life???