24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Two questions on LP replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2005, 08:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Two questions on LP replacement

I'm going to replace my lift pump tomorrow. Apparently the fuel supply line has a quick-connect fitting at the LP. How do you remove that? I've never messed with a quick-connect fitting before. My searches don't show anything specific about that. When I do remove the supply line connection, will there be much fuel draining from the line? I have to do the job in my driveway which is on an incline. Overall it doesn't look too difficult; however, I don't plan on removing the starter as the service manual suggests. Thanks for any replies.
Old 08-28-2005, 10:46 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
you will the fuel line disconnect tool................... most auto parts stores should have them for sale. thats about all i can tell you as i have not done one yet but i do know about the tool as i use them on ocasion at work. they come in different sizes too.
Old 08-28-2005, 11:24 AM

You just sqeeze the little buttons(tabs) on the quick connect and pull it apart. There shouldnt be too much fuel because of the height of the line in relation to the tank but you will get a little out of the lp when you remove it. When you remove the banjo bolts there will be two sealing washers on each, becareful not to loose them unless you have new ones. I wouldn't remove the starter either, it can all be done from above.
Good luck with the swap.
Eric
Old 08-29-2005, 11:41 AM

billmac,

You said you thought there was a quick disconnect of the fuel line at the LP. This is NOT correct. The quick disconnect is on the top of the tank only where the supply line attaches to the tank. You don't need to mess with this for an LP replacement.

As Vulcan said, there are banjos and banjo bolts going to and from the LP on the side of the engine. No quick disconnects there.

And like Vulcan said, you can replace the LP from the top. I did mine this way in about 20-30 minutes. Just be gentle with the banjo bolts themselves and when you put them back in, make sure you have the sealing washers in place. One on each side of the banjo. Don't overtorque it.

Steve
Old 08-29-2005, 12:28 PM

Vulcan and CORed, thanks for the replies. According to my service manual instructions for LP removal, #5 says to "disconnect fuel line quick-connect fitting at fuel line at rear of pump". Also, since the truck will be parked on an incline when I do the job, it looks like I will need to back it in, so the Lp is higher than the tank.
Old 08-29-2005, 04:53 PM

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't there a quick disconnect about 6in down from the lift pump (where the metal line meets the rubber line) on the supply side (right side as you are looking at the pump) of the lift pump? I was looking right at it and even playing with the disconnect tabs when I was contemplating replacing my LP (in the event Cummins could not warranty the failing LP).

Speaking of replacing the LP from the topside, do you need to remove anything to get at the lift pump (i.e. Fuel Filter Housing)?

Thanks

Ron
Old 08-29-2005, 06:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've read where folks have removed the 2 filter housing bolts and tied the filter housing away from the pump for working room.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:30 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
There is a QD down from the pump. If you are changing the pump, you might as well change the fuel lines to bigger ones.

Mike
Old 08-29-2005, 08:17 PM

It's alot easier with the fuel filter housing moved out of the way. You don't need to pull the starter, just try not to get alot of fuel on it. I've changed my 2002 twice and didn't notice a quick disconnect. Doesn't matter if it's there or not, you might as well remove the banjo bolt on both the inlet and outlet because you'll have to take them out of the old pump and put in the new one. As for fuel draining from the inlet line, I've done one on level ground, and one with the front elevated, and didn't get any drainage from the inlet line. If I remember right, most the fuel drainage was from the lift pump itself.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:19 AM

I, too, did not know about this second QD. I did not use it when I replaced my LP. Just took out the two banjo bolts and disconnected the power lead. I did not remove anything else to get to it, but it would have been better if I had a monkey helping me. You have to contort a bit while leaning over the drivers side fender, but you can do it once you figure it out. Fuel leakage was not much of a problem other than what was in the pump mostly. Not a concern really.

Steve
Old 08-30-2005, 08:41 PM

Originally posted by rjrkihap
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't there a quick disconnect about 6in down from the lift pump (where the metal line meets the rubber line) on the supply side (right side as you are looking at the pump) of the lift pump? I was looking right at it and even playing with the disconnect tabs when I was contemplating replacing my LP (in the event Cummins could not warranty the failing LP).

Speaking of replacing the LP from the topside, do you need to remove anything to get at the lift pump (i.e. Fuel Filter Housing)?

Thanks

Ron
There used to be a quick connect just before the pump on mine (past tense) there was one on another truck I worked on also. You can remove the FF canister but I did not, now the pumps on the frame so its no prob.
Old 08-30-2005, 09:22 PM

Mine had a quick connect on the LP inlet side until 2 days ago, now its all gone!
Thanks to Eric's Vulcan Big Line Kit.

Edit: I did remove the fuel filter canister entirely to install the kit. 2 easy bolts and I thought it went smoother.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:07 PM

Getting rid of the banjos is something every one should consider. Good fuel flow looks like the saving grace for the VP 44. Check this out if you want to build your own big line set up.
The URL will not come through here so I am refering to a Ebay item if you search "Cummins fuel fittings" you will see a good read on how to put the a -6AN line system together.