24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Two problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 04:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Two problems

You may have seen this truck in the June issue of Diesel Tech. Magazine. The article was Project Brian. Sgt Douglass is currently in Afghanistan and the truck is here in Denver until he returns. The truck and is now smoking excessively at all levels on the programer and the transmission is shifting way too soon.The turbo seems to take for ever to spool up Here are the parts and thanks for everyone's help
ATS 5 star torque converter,
ATS valve body.
Aurora 3000 turbo charger
ATS intake and exhaust manifold
Edge Juice with CTS
Thanks again
Old 07-18-2011, 08:18 PM

Nothing

So no one has any ideas? Help me out. I am out of ideas and need to get it running right.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:38 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Have you checkd for boost pressure loss? It sounds like a boot came off or the cooler has ruptured
Old 07-19-2011, 08:52 AM

Boost preasure

I checked the boots and they all look OK. I am not sure how to check the intercooler for leaks. Once the truck gets rolling it makes about 33PSI. My stock turbo makes 26 at this altitude. Does it have to come out of the truck ?
Thanks for the help
Old 07-19-2011, 01:26 PM

assuming the air filter is not clogged and good to go.. have you tried pulling any codes if any.. have you tried unhooking the performance box on it and see how it does or if its the same.. also may consider with the altitude your at and the fuel you are throwing at it the heavy fuel may be putting the fire out in the combustion.. if all the goodies on the truck are really new to the truck and you haven't put much miles on the truck yourself you may be looking at fine tuning the performance box on it to find the happy spot if I remember that turbo isn't going to spool like the stocker with the fuel and air being thinner may be causing alot of what your talking about.. I dont live at that altitude but may want to ask this question also on the colorado group threads or call ATS themselves and ask for their help.. I'm sure they would with their products being on the truck.+
Old 07-19-2011, 07:13 PM

Thanks

I checked the Air filter. No Codes. I have not tried to disconnect the Juice, but I will. The truck drove fine on the trip to NC and only started acting up on the return trip to Colorado. The turbo sounds like it is making boost. The gauge shows no boost. Once it gets to about 7 PSI ist spools up nicely. Could this be linked to the other issue with the Transmission shifting way too early. Possibly overloading the truck with too much line preasure? Just a thought.
Old 07-20-2011, 01:28 AM

if your getting your boost reading from your edge only this may be a problem with the edge also. that doesn't sound right if that is the source for boost reading.. try unhooking the edge. if its tapped into the injection pump remove that as well.... if the tranny was recently done? may want to call or find out how tight the converter is. they should be able to help you with trouble shooting if you explain your shift issues too.. the new air horn was that just installed too. may want to double check the connection on the flange on the bolts to make sure there is no leak. hope this helps