24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Turbo/wastegate question

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 09:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo/wastegate question

I have an 02 Dodge 3500 6spd. I towed a 38ft trailer from Alaska to Tx last month with about 10k lbs on it. The truck ran great the entire time, but every now and then I would get a "turbo sneeze" when down shifting during strep climbs.

I arrived in Tx with no issues and after about 2 weeks that truck started losing power at higher RPMs from 3rd gear and up. The turbo builds boost, but not as fast and it doesn't seem to want to hold it. It is really lacking in power.

I hooked up the Smarty and it didn't pull any codes. Could it be a stuck open wastegate? The truck used to blow smoke easily, but now it barely smokes at all.

What are some things I should look for? I am getting 15psi for fuel and I also just put a new filter in it yesterday. I cleaned my AFE CAI and put it back on and no changes. I also checked all the intercooler boots and everything is tight.

It feels like an air leak somewhere, but I can not figure it out.

Thanks,
Doug
Old 12-22-2009, 12:19 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Snug
I have an 02 Dodge 3500 6spd. I towed a 38ft trailer from Alaska to Tx last month with about 10k lbs on it. The truck ran great the entire time, but every now and then I would get a "turbo sneeze" when down shifting during strep climbs.

I arrived in Tx with no issues and after about 2 weeks that truck started losing power at higher RPMs from 3rd gear and up. The turbo builds boost, but not as fast and it doesn't seem to want to hold it. It is really lacking in power.

I hooked up the Smarty and it didn't pull any codes. Could it be a stuck open wastegate? The truck used to blow smoke easily, but now it barely smokes at all.

What are some things I should look for? I am getting 15psi for fuel and I also just put a new filter in it yesterday. I cleaned my AFE CAI and put it back on and no changes. I also checked all the intercooler boots and everything is tight.

It feels like an air leak somewhere, but I can not figure it out.

Thanks,
Doug
smoke indicates a boost leak, but if your not smoking as much then i would suspect a fuel problem..... ?