24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Turbo not spooling up.

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 10:16 AM

Received 142 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by VADSLRAM
Just my analytics here but..
For a specific RPM there is a minimum CFM that is coming out of the exhaust valves. Regardless of how much fuel is going in there is .98 liters of space moved with each piston cycle.
N/A will start with a vacuum so it will be more like .95L air and a good working turbo will boost in over a liter but there is still air going through either way.
Our engines are close coupled to the exhaust so you would definitely know if there was a leak before the turbo.
You should be able to hear the whistle if there is a leak between the turbo and the engine intake side.
So like I said, my analytics. If your turbo isn't spinning up to speed it seems like it would have to be the turbo itself and probably the bearings.
Its not quite this simplistic.....but I understand what you're trying to say. Without getting all complicated, understand that the turbo isnt spinning fast enough to create loaded pressure (boost) until the exhaust offers enough heat from fuel and air flow from rpm's (depending on displacement and impeller design) and the expansion of the air flow from that heat. So just because there's a minimum of around 5 liters of air flow passing through the turbo upon every crank rotation, that displacement isnt whats makes the turbo do much.

The misnomer is that turbos work simply by exhaust gases blowing through them, but thats not accurate. For instance, start your truck and while in neutral rev the engine slowly up to around 3k rpm. If the turbo is spinning simply by virtue of exhaust passing through it in combination of the displacement then you should be making gobs of boost. But in reality you'll only going to see about 2 psi maximum. This is because there's no heat and air expansion coming out the exhaust while revving in neutral. Remember, a diesel engine (at least most of them) are wide open throttle all the time and are only controlled by the amount of fuel injected into them.

So therefor what Gambino is most likely experiencing is a VP which isnt producing the proper fueling and fueling map which is limiting the correct fueling for his engine. Thus little power = little heat which = no turbo boost. End result on a stock truck with stock air box and silencer ring in place is a turbo which cant be heard whistling away.