24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Turbo not spooling up.

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 04:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Fuel delivery issues':
Truck would sporadically run very rough & miss under hard acceleration.
Plugged in at Cummins:
Had a code reader plugged into truck,forget which code but told us the computer,(I called it "chip",my bad)was faulty.Kept driving truck occasionally,eventually it shut off & wouldn't start.
Bought the VP44 Bosch from a reputable diesel shop,along with lift pump.
Installed myself,not the first inj pump I've changed,truck started fine but no boost/power.
I'm thinking the low boost/power issue existed before pump swap,but truck worked so poorly I didn't realize.
The code reader my friend has is an OBD 2,nothing came up but the 1693 came up on key,pcu & ecu.
The turbo is not making that "whistle" if you know what I mean,and truck is quite gutless,the 2003 cummins we have works properly,very easy to compare.
There I think that's all you asked.
Thanks again.
Old 06-07-2015, 04:32 PM

Received 142 Likes on 108 Posts
Does it happen to have a slight miss during idle? If so then its possible that you accidentally smashed the VP key between the shaft and timing gear. Its not terribly uncommon for people to do this and it results in loss of power and generally a slight miss at idle. The power loss is because it essentially changed the "timing" of the VP.

But I have to say that I'm not liking the 1693 code either. How long ago did you install the VP? Who exactly did you get it from? Do you know if it came with a brand new and updated PSG computer? I ask because there are vendors who will supply people with a remanufactured VP but keep the working computer on there.....which can suffer from solder crystallization. But usually this results in poor starting conditions when the engine is hot. So you can see why I'm looking for as much data as possible..... There's a lot to look for.

In saying all that, try something..... Unplug the MAP sensor and see if it affects anything. Like loss of more power and added smoke. If nothing happens then I'd lean towards a MAP sensor issue. It should throw a code too but lets just see what happens.
Old 06-07-2015, 04:57 PM

Idles fine,but anythings possible.
Bought the VP44 from Stairs Diesel in Dartmouth,Nova Scotia.
It was a reman but I've dealt with them for years,no issues.
I will unhook the map sensor & post results.
Old 06-07-2015, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Gambino
Idles fine,but anythings possible.
Bought the VP44 from Stairs Diesel in Dartmouth,Nova Scotia.
It was a reman but I've dealt with them for years,no issues.
I will unhook the map sensor & post results.
Have you talked to them about this? Is it possible that you by chance got a VP which wasnt calibrated to the ECM on the Dodge Cummins? There are many applications with the Cummins/VP44 combination and if the PSG isnt talking to the right ECM or PCM then this is a problem. Potentially why you're getting the random 1693 code.
Old 06-07-2015, 05:46 PM

Thanks,will try that tomorrow.
Old 06-07-2015, 09:37 PM

I had the boost sensor go out on mine in 2007. My 0 to 60 times could be measured with a sundial. Had a shop test and they found the sensor problem, and replaced it.
Old 06-07-2015, 09:44 PM

Thank you Montana Ram
Old 06-08-2015, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by MontanaRam
I had the boost sensor go out on mine in 2007. My 0 to 60 times could be measured with a sundial. Had a shop test and they found the sensor problem, and replaced it.
Very true that this should happen but the only reason I'm not feeling like its the MAP sensor is the lack of smoke. Unplug the MAP and it should pump black smoke and power should fall off since the ECM cant regulate fuel in relation to the amount of boost. This is why it would be nice to know what happens when Gambino unplugs his. If there's no change then I'd say this may be the culprit. But not having the MAP sensor code is a problem with this theory too.

I'm really thinking the replacement VP is the wrong unit.
Old 06-08-2015, 06:33 AM

KATOOM !!!!!
Ahhhhhh you are right !!
Just spoke with the shop I purchased the VP44 from,he looked up my history & informed me I was sold a pump for an auto,not a 6 spd.
I wasn't aware there was a difference but apparently there is.
So now I have to swap pumps.AGAIN !!!!
At least there will be no charge.
Thanks again & I will post updates,might be awhile,so busy with other stuff.
Beware peeps,don't assume the "pros" are 100% on their game,that was my first mistake.
Again,thanks for the help.
Old 06-08-2015, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Gambino
KATOOM !!!!!
Ahhhhhh you are right !!
Just spoke with the shop I purchased the VP44 from,he looked up my history & informed me I was sold a pump for an auto,not a 6 spd.
I wasn't aware there was a difference but apparently there is.
So now I have to swap pumps.AGAIN !!!!
At least there will be no charge.
Thanks again & I will post updates,might be awhile,so busy with other stuff.
Beware peeps,don't assume the "pros" are 100% on their game,that was my first mistake.
Again,thanks for the help.
Hmmm..... Thats unfortunate. But lets talk about this further because I feel I still need to clarify some things for you.

There are two VP's which came on the 2nd gen Dodge Cummins engines. The SO version and the HO version. The SO is for the auto's and the 5-speed trucks and the HO version is only for the 6 speed trucks. In 2001 Cummins came out with an HO engine which made a tad more hp and torque, achieved by a few changes in the engine including higher pressure injectors and a higher pressure / lower volume VP.....and a slight change in fuel timing map.

That said, because the SO injection pump is lower pressure / higher volume, its the VP of choice for people building an engine for power because it can deliver more fuel than the HO pump. That means that an SO pump "will" work on an HO motor. But..........for sake of being accurate here, there has been enough cases on these forums of people having issues with mixing and matching those two VP's that I would have reason for concern unless the supplier you got the VP was absolutely positive that the SO pump they were selling you would function properly on the HO engine.

So what I'm getting at is, yes.....I still think your VP is bogus. Either it has the wrong communication PSG for your engine or.....its just the wrong VP for the Dodge Cummins altogether. But if they're willing to swap you one for free then the few hours it will take to install it is completely worth just the piece of mind. And I'm betting once you install it the truck will run beautiful too.

But do yourself a favor and call them up again and MAKE SURE that this replacement VP they're sending you is coming with a BRAND NEW PSG. This is VERY important too and dont let it slide assuming again that they're doing the best they can for you. They've already sent you the wrong pump the first time around so dont install something unworthy of being in your truck this time.
Old 06-08-2015, 03:21 PM

I will certainly do my "due diligence" this time,and ,thanks again.
Will post all revelant developments here.
Old 06-09-2015, 07:49 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm curious.
You didn't hear the turbo at all? How would low or off time fueling stop the turbo from spinning?
I can hear mine whine at least a little even at idle, at highway speeds it's a nice comforting whistle.
When my FP went some years back and went into limp mode I could still hear the turbo spinning just not a lot because I couldn't come up off idle.
Old 06-09-2015, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by VADSLRAM
I'm curious.
You didn't hear the turbo at all? How would low or off time fueling stop the turbo from spinning?
I can hear mine whine at least a little even at idle, at highway speeds it's a nice comforting whistle.
When my FP went some years back and went into limp mode I could still hear the turbo spinning just not a lot because I couldn't come up off idle.
Sounds like a naturally aspirated engine.Turbo is def spinning,but no whistle or added power.
I'm probably not the best guy to answer your question re fuel affecting turbo operation but I assume the engine isn't getting fuel when needed for turbo ?
The truck works fine,runs smooth,but works like a n/a engine.
As soon as I swap pumps I will post (hopefully positive) results.
Old 06-10-2015, 06:24 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Just my analytics here but..
For a specific RPM there is a minimum CFM that is coming out of the exhaust valves. Regardless of how much fuel is going in there is .98 liters of space moved with each piston cycle.
N/A will start with a vacuum so it will be more like .95L air and a good working turbo will boost in over a liter but there is still air going through either way.
Our engines are close coupled to the exhaust so you would definitely know if there was a leak before the turbo.
You should be able to hear the whistle if there is a leak between the turbo and the engine intake side.
So like I said, my analytics. If your turbo isn't spinning up to speed it seems like it would have to be the turbo itself and probably the bearings.
Old 06-10-2015, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by VADSLRAM
Just my analytics here but..
For a specific RPM there is a minimum CFM that is coming out of the exhaust valves. Regardless of how much fuel is going in there is .98 liters of space moved with each piston cycle.
N/A will start with a vacuum so it will be more like .95L air and a good working turbo will boost in over a liter but there is still air going through either way.
Our engines are close coupled to the exhaust so you would definitely know if there was a leak before the turbo.
You should be able to hear the whistle if there is a leak between the turbo and the engine intake side.
So like I said, my analytics. If your turbo isn't spinning up to speed it seems like it would have to be the turbo itself and probably the bearings.
Well,I'll find out when I change the N44,nothing to lose,wrong pump is on truck now.
I'll let you know results.

Quick Reply: Turbo not spooling up.