24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Turbo boost sensor malfunction??

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 09:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo boost sensor malfunction??

2002 3500 dually, 5.9...do these boost sensors go out often...I have initially thought that my waste gate was sticking open but now one of my clints says it might be the sensor. The engine has 285k on it and it has not been tampered with. Is this a possibility for my turbo boost loss?? Doc
Old 01-20-2013, 01:43 AM

Most common issues on these trucks are a slipped intercooler tube boot or one that has a crack in it. What are you getting for boost pressure? Any codes to lead you to believe that the MAP sensor went out?
Old 01-20-2013, 01:57 PM

No codes on the OBD, the boot is in good shape, I have checked it 4 times..Is there a boost gauge that be bought and tried, I have no idea what the present boost level is. The closest Dodge dealer is 90 miles away..
Old 01-20-2013, 03:27 PM

So you have no gauge, but you think you have a low boost issue?
Old 01-20-2013, 05:19 PM

First thing to do would be to get some gauges on that truck. Fairly cheap insurance and are available here in the DTR store. They are a good diagnostic tool. It also sound to me like you are checking only one intercooler boot. You need to check all 4..
Old 01-20-2013, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Tate
So you have no gauge, but you think you have a low boost issue?
Yes..for the following reasons..no codes , lift @ 18 PSI, VP 44 not throwing codes, when I left to travel the Dodge dealer scanned it again, no codes...when I called the dealer the service guy said that the boost sensor will not throw a code but that they fail routinely and to replace it. I do understand that fueling issues will cause this problem..but I do not apparently have this...as for a gauge...no I do not have them installed and most that I know that have these trucks also do not. I come here seeking constructive advice, not condescending remarks....I am not a dieselphobe although I enjoy this truck....I fail to see the need to rack gauges on my dash if I have code feedback and intelligent diesel techs to ask...sorry for asking.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:09 PM

What symptoms/conditions are you having that leads you to believe you are having low boost??

Are you having..
Excessive black smoke?
Loss of power?
Any noises out of the normal?
Old 01-20-2013, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by lovinCTD59
What symptoms/conditions are you having that leads you to believe you are having low boost??

Are you having..
Excessive black smoke?
Loss of power?
Any noises out of the normal?
No excessive smoke, loss of power yes....I have noticed acceleration but nothing like the launch I used to get when I brought the turbo in hard on acceleration, it is like the acceleration in a normally aspirated engine, no launch...like I was used to. I am reluctant to go back to the dealer because once they sense you are unsure....your screwed. Thank you for your input, I appreciate it.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:00 PM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by dochawken
I am reluctant to go back to the dealer because once they sense you are unsure....your screwed. Thank you for your input, I appreciate it.
This is why it's a good idea to install some test gauges for a diagnosis of a problem. You don't have to get $400 in gauges to do that, simple plumbing parts and an $8 gauge can get to the root of the problem. Diesel mechanics have been doing the same for some time now!

Try cleaning the MAP sensor as a cheap test. I've had a dirty MAP sensor (filled with oil) have a low output on our VW tdi.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by gorms
This is why it's a good idea to install some test gauges for a diagnosis of a problem. You don't have to get $400 in gauges to do that, simple plumbing parts and an $8 gauge can get to the root of the problem. Diesel mechanics have been doing the same for some time now!

Try cleaning the MAP sensor as a cheap test. I've had a dirty MAP sensor (filled with oil) have a low output on our VW tdi.
can you throw me a bone on the parts necessary for this simple gauge? PVC , flex hose?? what?? I like spending a little to determine if my boost is correct.....thanks for taking the time to post your remarks to me. Doc
Old 01-21-2013, 10:42 AM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
i think fueling is the problem, not boost...replace the fuel filter first.then go from there
Old 01-21-2013, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by johnh
i think fueling is the problem, not boost...replace the fuel filter first.then go from there
Replace the fuel filter every 10K..that was the first thing I replaced...but thanks for your interest and your input, I appreciate it. Doc
Old 01-21-2013, 05:24 PM
Administrator

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts
Originally Posted by dochawken
can you throw me a bone on the parts necessary for this simple gauge? PVC , flex hose?? what?? I like spending a little to determine if my boost is correct.....thanks for taking the time to post your remarks to me. Doc
All you really need is a simple 0-30 PSI gauge, for a quick test you can adapt it to some 1/4" brake line. run it under the hood to the windshield. There is at least 1 1/8" or 1/4" NPT pipe plug in the manifold you can pull and replace with a cheap brass compression fitting. Everything should be available at your local parts store.
Yea, it is hiillbilly, but to just be able to verify your boost levels it works just fine and doesn't break the bank.

If you cant find local, here are some inexpensive alternatives.
http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.as...AZ&catname=air
http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.as...RR&catname=air
http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.as...JJ&catname=air

Need 1 gauge and 1 coupling and 2 1/4" compression fittings, and of course, some 1/4" steel brake line at the auto parts store.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:15 PM

This is another neat tool I keep in my tool box.

http://www.puredieselpower.com/catal...r-p-36163.html

Take alot of quesswork out of the situation...
Old 01-21-2013, 06:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
like others..
a cheap vacuum/boost gauge..0-30 psi gauge..CHEAP!!!its just air..

so what boost do you get?

-dkenny

Quick Reply: Turbo boost sensor malfunction??