24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

truth about improving mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2005, 12:40 AM
GQC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
truth about improving mileage?

hey folks, my 6cyl gets about 16-17mpg and it is stock. I met a guy today that said he put in a modified chip and high performance turbo on his truck and claims he gets 28mpg because he feeds it more air and fuel. Is this true? If so, what mods would you suggest and where can I get them? I drive about 7000 miles a month. My truck has 170k miles on it and is a 2wd 2500, 1999. Thanks for your input.

BTW...this is my first diesel and I am loving it...although at this time I am considering alternative fuels. Today's prices are just sick.
Old 09-01-2005, 01:05 AM

Well, I find his claim of 28 mpg to be suspect. However, maybe others have experienced the same results with the mods he has added.

I added a Quadzilla tow chip and gained 2 mpg. My unladen best highway mpg has been 23.5 per gallon. With my cab over loaded, I have gotten 17 mpg. But, I drive VERY conservatively. 57 mph MAX,.... period!!!! Gentle acceleration and braking.

Adding a high per turbo is going to cost you some serious green. Its also going to require all the gauges. I'd question how long it will take to recoup your investment. My chip was a couple of hundred bucks, so recoup is fairly quick. I think the first thing to need to look at is your driving habits. If you drive it like you stole it, then no mods are going to help your mpg!
Old 09-01-2005, 01:06 AM

Go up and fill out your signature so we can see what you have. user cp above.

28 .....get the boots out haha
bentwings
Old 09-01-2005, 05:56 AM

The best I've ever got was 22 MPG. My average is what you see in the signature below.
Old 09-01-2005, 10:04 AM
GQC

Well, I do accelerate about the same as most drivers...not too aggressively and not too slowly. I generally drive about 80 on the freeways (most of my driving). Yes, I've checked out a dual turbo kit for $3000...outta my league. The guy I had spoken to had told me that the more air and fuel you feed it, the better the mileage...which does not sound right to me, but I figured I'd ask anyway. He had a huge intake for both the turbo and the regular intake. He also said his was a 12 valve instead of a 24. 1998-7...somewhere around there. Anyway, where is a good place to get a mod chip? Thanks for all the responses.
Old 09-01-2005, 10:15 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
He is right about a "chip" improving his mpgs but it's not because it added more air and fuel, it's because it changed the timing.
Old 09-01-2005, 11:28 AM

I have heard of the 12-valves getting a little better mileage, but not enough HP for me. The best I ever got with my current mods is around 20-21 at 65 MPH, I get 15-17 towing a 28ft trailer at the same speed or a little faster. Should get a little better with the Mach's I think. FYI when mine was stock it got 19.

Tom
Old 09-01-2005, 12:22 PM

Re: truth about improving mileage?

Originally posted by GQC
...claims he gets 28mpg because he feeds it more air and fuel...
ask the guy how feeding it more fuel helps mileage

at 80mph your spinning the motor past 2000rpm (atleast this is a safe assumption). keep it at or just below 2000rpm and you should notice an improvement of mileage.

do some researching on this site and you will learn how the diesel works, whats good, whats bad, and how to go about improving your performance. you should understand the fundamentals of the motor and what the numbers on the gauges mean before you start BOMBing your truck. you will also learn about the weak areas that need to be addressed before BOMBing can begin.
Old 09-01-2005, 01:24 PM

WAIT JUST ONE MINUTE!!!!!!!!

THIS GUY "CHIPPED" A 12V??

I call a foul, and smell one too, btw!!

Chris
Old 09-01-2005, 01:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by GQC
...The guy I had spoken to had told me that the more air and fuel you feed it, the better the mileage...which does not sound right to me.
Nor to me!

Of all the posts I've seen regarding mileage....no one has ever reported close to 28 mpg! If your averaging 16-17 mpg with an auto...at 80 mpg, your doing about as well as anyone.

And like Chris says...you can't chip a non electronic (1st Generation) diesel.

Welcome to the DTR....and the straight scoop.

RJ
Old 09-01-2005, 07:43 PM

Add a chip only for timing, I did. Donm's mach1 injectors, I didn't but might. Air up the tires but not overinflate. Air in and out should help but not much. Bedcover might help. Thinner oil looks like it helps but its risky, I didn't. Make sure you have synthetic in the differential.
You still have to go night-night to get 28 but these things all have possibilities.
If you read enough around here you will get some helpful tips but the best comes down to the timing, more efficient injectors, air in tires and how you drive it.

PS. My truck has a history of going 20+ hwy(20@80mph) but I haven't done a road trip since installing these new injectors. With the price of fuel it may be some time before I can try it.
Old 09-01-2005, 07:49 PM

Originally posted by GQC
He also said his was a 12 valve instead of a 24. 1998-7...somewhere around there.
Get him to show you how he put a chip in a 12v. The P-7100 is still mechanical, Ain't it???
Old 09-01-2005, 09:47 PM

Old 09-01-2005, 10:35 PM
GQC

okay...thanks for all the input folks. I kinda figured he was bs'n me but had to ask since I'm a dummy with diesels..this is my first one. I love this truck and it has/is serving me well. I have been checking into chips for it and can't seem to find one for less than $300. The Quadzilla adjustable setup sounds pretty nice (can't afford $500 though), but if I could just find one simple one to improve mileage for cheaper, I'd be happy. I don't tow anything and the most I've ever hauled was 3/4" ply and 2x4/4x4s filled to the top of my bed. I have been reading up on the veggie oil setup for diesels...not the biodiesel but the heated tank/fuel lines/fuel filter/fuel pump setup that allows you to run straight vegetable oil instead of diesel. Any comments? Thanks for all the info. You guys are great!
Old 09-02-2005, 12:21 AM

Well, like I said...if you drive it like you stole it (80 mph) ...you can forget the mpg.

I guess I'm just an "old man", but I can't think of one reason why I shoud cruise at 80. Of course, I also pushed a car for a living harder than any NASCAR driver could imagine. 21 years in a black & white in San Francisco Bay Area traffic educates you quickly. And retirement changes your perspective quickly, especially when no one is giving you pay raises!

Try slowing it down and see what happens. Its better for your heart, your truck and our nation.

Quick Reply: truth about improving mileage?