24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Truck won't start Fuel delivery question

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2003, 11:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck won't start Fuel delivery question

I replaced my fuel filter last night and didn't try to start it until this morning. The fuel is not flowing into the filter. The little unit behind and below the filter housing is clicking(bussing) as if it were trying to pump fuel, but the filter is still dry.<br><br>I don't want to confuse the issue, but starting two days ago the truck started making a noise that sounded like I had 35 inch mudders on it. I swung it by a local mechanic and we both thought it was the rearend. I scheduled to take it down this morning... I just wanted to mention this in case our ears were wrong and it might have been some fuel delivery issue. Not the noice was only noticable at about 40 mph and got louder as we increased speed. Hence our diagnosis.<br><br>Anyway, anyone know what that little unit is behind the filter? This is the first time I have had a problem after replacing a fuel filter, was I just lucky? Any help much appreciated.
Old 06-17-2003, 12:49 PM

Re:Truck won't start Fuel delivery question

That little canister is what they call a Lift pump.<br><br>Sounds like it has gone bad. Even though it sounds like it is pumping, sometimes the rotor head keyed shaft wears out, or the motor shaft will actually break, in both failures, the motor will still run, but no rpessure, or volume is produced.<br><br>I suggest you give *The PowerShop* a Call, and Ask for Evan. They are in Seattle Wa. Phone # (360) 825-9400 Tell Him Merrick sent you ;D<br><br>If you are looking to upgrade you can do a PE4200 fuel pump Kit, but if you are not looking for more power, your stock lift pump will be ok, but I suggest moving it closer to the tank, and getting a fuel pressure gauge (at very least a periodic Fuel presure test).<br><br>Hope this Helps,<br>Merrick Cummings Jr
Old 06-18-2003, 12:25 AM

This was wonderful help. I actually used your information to evaluate the quality of mechanics I was dealing with. Thank you so very much. BTW, I ended up with a cummings (carter) Lift pump since no one I could find had any thing other than stock. I ended up getting it from Cummins Northwest for 150.00 which turned out to be the best deal by 50-100 bucks. I called &quot;The Powershop&quot; and talked with Evan. They don't carry the pump you mentioned and were booked out a few weeks. I did mention you (Merrick) and he appreciated the nod. Thanks again for all your help.
Old 06-18-2003, 08:22 AM

NOTE: One more satisfied person of the advice given on DIESEL TRUCK RESOURCE. ;D