24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Truck won't start, acts like it is in gear

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2005, 05:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck won't start, acts like it is in gear

I have gained a tremendous amount of knowledge from this site, and appreciate all who post here. Unfortunately, I have been unable find the answer to my most current problem...

When I try to start my pickup, all I get is a clicking of a selenoid or relay but the starter does not engage. My batteries are good and have a good charge. The first time it happened, I took it out of park, into gear then into neutral and it fired right up. It has happened two more times since then, but it doesn't happen every time, it is hit or miss. Both times I had to fiddle around with the gear shifter (much longer than the first time) and it would start. It has to be the sensor that tells it that it is in park/neutral, right?? How does it work, or where is it at? Could it be anything else? I can't believe it is a fuse or relay because it does eventually start (so far anyway). I guess I could always just crawl under it and short the starter, but it is cold here and I don't want to have to teach my wife how to do this. Any ideas?
Thanks
Owen
Old 12-15-2005, 05:39 PM

sounds like a bad starter...next time it happens tap the starter with a hammer...not that this always works, but if it starts up after you tap it then it ususally means your starter is done
Old 12-15-2005, 05:56 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
The fact that you can hear the solenoid click suggests that it's a starter problem and not the shifter position switch. If it were the shifter position, then I would think that the solenoid wouldn't even engage.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:10 PM

Sounds like you need a set of Larry B contacts for your start solenoid. SNOKING
Old 12-15-2005, 06:28 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Starter contacts. See my pics for what they look like. They are easy to replace. I'm sure your wife can handle it.

http://www.fostertruck.com/dodge/default.htm
Old 12-15-2005, 06:38 PM

Yeah, I think you guys are right, I guess I was just in denial and was hoping it was just a loose connection. I just went and tried to start it in gear and it doesn't click, so obviously the sensor is working and that only leaves the starter. If it can't be rebuilt, is there a cheap place to get the whole thing? Thanks
Owen
Old 12-15-2005, 06:46 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by AviatorOne
Yeah, I think you guys are right, I guess I was just in denial and was hoping it was just a loose connection. I just went and tried to start it in gear and it doesn't click, so obviously the sensor is working and that only leaves the starter. If it can't be rebuilt, is there a cheap place to get the whole thing? Thanks
Owen
You can replace your starters contacts for $40. They are simple to replace, but if you want a new starter you can get a rebuilt one at any parts store.

Here are the instructions for replacing the contacts. It takes 10 mins after the starter is out.

http://www.fostertruck.com/contacts_install.htm