24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Truck started, died, won't restart

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck started, died, won't restart

My father got into his truck, started it, started to back out of the driveway, the truck shut off and will not restart. NO check engine lights came on. All that it does is crank over and doesn't try to fire. Yes it has 3/4 of a tank of fuel. It is a 2001 with 102,000 miles, automatic 2wd. My father is 68 years old and nothing has been done to the motor, it is bone stock.
Could this be as simple as a fuel filter or a lift pump? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
check how much fuel pressure it has. If needed crack injector lines and make sure it's getting fuel
Old 12-11-2009, 10:35 PM

Could be bad LP, but should run with out it, badly though.
Could be a bad fuel gauge. Meaning he is out of fuel.
Is he in AZ? If so, i'd rule out gelled or frozen up.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:36 PM

You can check for fault codes by doing three key ons and read codes in odometer.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:39 PM

Yes, My dad lives in Tucson, so gelling is not the problem.

Originally Posted by roughstock
Could be bad LP, but should run with out it, badly though.
Could be a bad fuel gauge. Meaning he is out of fuel.
Is he in AZ? If so, i'd rule out gelled or frozen up.
Old 12-12-2009, 11:25 AM

check fuel filter for sure...does he drain the filter on a regular bases...lot of bad fuel now days (water)..also if he doesn't have a fuel pressure gauge...great Chirstmas gift.....keep us posted
Old 12-12-2009, 12:51 PM

Thanks, I'm going over tomorrow to change the fuel filter and see if that does the trick.

Originally Posted by harleybrad
check fuel filter for sure...does he drain the filter on a regular bases...lot of bad fuel now days (water)..also if he doesn't have a fuel pressure gauge...great Chirstmas gift.....keep us posted
Old 12-12-2009, 01:34 PM

you guys sure look to the bright side.....ha. i had an 00 24v before this truck... and i got in it to leave the jobsite and it did the same thing....started went to back out and it died.....didnt throw a code just wouldnt fire after it died. it was the injection pump...
Old 12-13-2009, 10:34 AM

Did someone just change the fuel filter or drain the water out of it? I you do this and don't prime the system it will do this. We changed the fuel filter in one and primed but didn't notice that the water drain lever was stuck open a little and it did the same thing, but was also dumping fuel out of the water/fuel drain.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:52 AM

I'm going to my dads in an hour to change the fuel filter, I can't remember if I need any tools for this year truck, I know it's different than my 06.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:55 AM

no special tools, just make sure you get all the air out before starting...good luck
Old 12-14-2009, 09:01 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Since you said everything is bonestock, check the fuel lines. If the filter drained back and left air in the bowl you would get a short run before it started sucking air. If the lift pump is bad that would make it not fill the bowl and once the IP drew air you wouldn't get any vacume to suck more fuel in.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:14 PM

Yesterday we changed the fuel filter and left the water seperator valve open and bumped the starter to run the lift pump until fuel came out.Then I closed the valve and did the starter bump 3 more times and still had nothing. This is how I used to do it on my '99 Cummins and it would start right up. Obviously the lift pump is working because it shot fuel out of the fuel filter drain. How can I tell if the IP is bad? Anybody know what the best place to get an inexpensive IP from for my father as he doesn't have $2000+ to purchase one? Any other ideas would be appreciated. Thanks for all you help.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Crack the 3 injector lines loose at the head, and turn the engine over to see if the injection pump is working. If it is tighten the lines as they start to spew fuel. If it doesn't spew fuel your VP44 is dead. It may just need to have the injection pump primed.
Old 12-15-2009, 12:12 PM
Administrator

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts
Did you do the keyswitch check for codes?

Also, cracking 3 of the Injector lines at the head ( 19 MM wrench ) will bleed the Inj lines as well as check for VP operation. If you are by yourself, you can leave them slightly loose while you get it started and then tighten them with it still running.

Quick Reply: Truck started, died, won't restart