24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Truck shudders when convertor tries to lock

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 10:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engune Shuuder @ convertor lock up! Now truck is dead at Demming, NM Rest Area wb 61

I'm pretty sure it's the TQ slipping although it's worsethe lower my fuel is in my tank.

Truck is in signature. All I do with it is tow my 15k lb loaded horse trailer that is fairly tall!

Here are my questions:

Which tranny mods are a must and which TQ do you recommend?

Any tuningbhelp would be benificial too!

Any issues with these trucks sucking air into the fuel lines either I. The tank or on the way o the engine?

Thanks,

Joe

Last edited by SkyHarborCowboy; 06-02-2010 at 09:36 PM. Reason: Update
Old 06-02-2010, 12:36 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Hold on a sec. What if it isn't the TC? Since you say that it gets worse as the fuel gets lower, what about the possibility that you are feeling a miss/stumble in the engine when the RPMs drop to lockup the TC?
What if you lock out OD and run it? This should change the RPMs enough, at the same speed, to notice a difference. If the shudder still occurs, at a different RPM it point toward the TC more, but it might also be in the clutches. This is something else that you will be able to troubleshoot with the OD lockout.

OK, so if it does turn out to be the TC, I recommend any of the aftermarket TCs. They are all good and should stand up to quite a bit of abuse, provided you have sufficient line pressure, which leads to me other recommendation, a valve body. I believe TC and VB are the most important upgrades to an auto tranny if nothing else is done. You'll want to decide who's VB you are going to do with then talk directly to them about what you are doing, and what you plan to do, so they can build your VB to your needs. The VB should have high line pressure, which helps hold the rest of the tranny together, especially if you aren't upgrading anything else.
NOTE: discuss how tight the TC will be, and how tight it will lock up. If you get something that locks real tight (read fast) you'll need to invest in a better input shaft because the lock-up on the better TC will eventually break the stock input shaft. Guess how I know.
When my TC locks up you can feel it launch the truck forward, but that's how I like it. The VB builder can make it softer, depending on your requirement, such as towing animals.

Chris
Old 06-02-2010, 09:33 PM

Well, I think that question just got answered! The engine just absolutely quit on me going up a slight grade just west of Demming, NM at the rest area
n I've been stuck here since 1:30 pm! My neighbor is headed put to pick up my horse trailer and bringing me a lift pump! I'm hoping I havnt lunched the injector pump!

Joe
Old 02-05-2011, 01:39 PM

I guess I should update this for others. My injector pump when caput and gave me a code of P1688. I havent messed with the truck since.

Joe