24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Truck runs fine but then dont start 15 mins later!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2004, 10:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update....they came back for the injection pump. After driving it all weekend, the cust said that it wouldn’t start hot after sitting 10 or so. But you let is sit for a long time, it fired right up! Kinda funny side story: They didn’t want to kill the truck to fill it up for diesel........well...haha....if you have ever tried that with a FASS.......Guess their hired hands didn’t read the manual! I talked to Brad at DPP about the FASS and he said that they have not really had any probs with the FASS introducing air to the point of hard starts. Only issue is leaks due to no Teflon tape on all the fittings (especially the pressure one right above the filter). Said they are also looking into a fix if the filter keeps leaking. But what i described didnt seem like a FASS issue. I got the pump in and replaced it. We drove it and let it sit for 10-15....it would start if you just looked at the key! Almost better than mine! From what i can figure, some bypass in the pump must have been diverting all the fuel back to the tank when the pump was hot and not letting it goto the injectors. The injectors were not loosening prime.....they just had no extra fuel to crack off. That is my theory.......hope this helps others in the on going fight agents VDs..ahh....er...i mean VPs!
Old 04-03-2004, 10:55 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by AlpineRAM
Hmm- did you try to unplug it? This seems to be the "test" for bad timing solenoid on the vp44 some dealers do. I heard that if it starts good with the plug off and bad to not with the plug on chances are good that the vp44 will throw codes and go to heaven soon.

AlpineRAM

This is a first one on me, are you saying to unplug the lift pump or the VP itself. I have a seperate breakout harness for a VP but this is the first I have heard of this if I read your statement correctly.
Old 04-05-2004, 03:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Mudinford
Update....they came back for the injection pump. After driving it all weekend, the cust said that it wouldn’t start hot after sitting 10 or so. But you let is sit for a long time, it fired right up! Kinda funny side story: They didn’t want to kill the truck to fill it up for diesel........well...haha....if you have ever tried that with a FASS.......Guess their hired hands didn’t read the manual! I talked to Brad at DPP about the FASS and he said that they have not really had any probs with the FASS introducing air to the point of hard starts. Only issue is leaks due to no Teflon tape on all the fittings (especially the pressure one right above the filter). Said they are also looking into a fix if the filter keeps leaking. But what i described didnt seem like a FASS issue. I got the pump in and replaced it. We drove it and let it sit for 10-15....it would start if you just looked at the key! Almost better than mine! From what i can figure, some bypass in the pump must have been diverting all the fuel back to the tank when the pump was hot and not letting it goto the injectors. The injectors were not loosening prime.....they just had no extra fuel to crack off. That is my theory.......hope this helps others in the on going fight agents VDs..ahh....er...i mean VPs!
Mudinford, just to be clear, are you saying that the new VP44 is what solved the problem?
Old 04-05-2004, 02:13 PM

Yes...the new VP fixed the Prob. And i have seen that "Unplug the lift pump test" on this site in other posts. Worked for me....truck runs perfect with new pump......
Old 04-05-2004, 02:35 PM

Wow, that is good info. Thanks for all your input.
Old 04-05-2004, 08:48 PM

Not a prob...i am sure i would get the same from any of yall.....

Hey shortshiift....how do you like your Brass Clutch? Good road manors? was thinking about doing it for my boss's truck. He's got gobbs of power slipping away if you know what i mean! Thanks! PM me if you want.....didnt want to get off topic......Thanks!
Old 04-06-2004, 02:04 AM

Originally posted by Mudinford
Not a prob...i am sure i would get the same from any of yall.....

Hey shortshiift....how do you like your Brass Clutch? didnt want to get off topic......Thanks!
Since this was your thread to begin with, I can answer your question, and then get back on topic..

The pros, are it does NOT slip, at all at my approx 350HP level. Joe Donnelly ran this design clutch in his 799 HP truck, and it held for him. Also went with the bronze oilite pilot bushing due to simplicity to replace the OEM one. The OEM needle type pilot bearings are known for ruining input shafts when they go out.

The cons, are it has more pedal pressure, and it is a different feel, because it is sprung so that most of the spring load is just past the point of engagement to give max clamping pressure. So it is not linear feeling through the pedal travel. You get used to it, and its not a big deal, but a first time driver will have to get used to it.

It is grabby. Since it does not like to slip, you have to get used to its manners, and I can drive it pretty smooth, but sometimes taking off, it will remind you what it is, as it feels like you just took off over some rocks, and you kicked a couple back.

I do tow with it, but it is not really towing friendly, but again you get used to it. Usually can avoid bucking, but it does surprise you sometimes. Backing up is not really a problem, because you learn it.

It is a bit hard on the drivetrain though because its so solid. I usually take off in 1st, and it doesnt buck, but second gear takeoffs, require a little practice.

If you take a look at one, you will see that it is one solid built clutch, and it sure wont be the weak link in the drivetrain.

If it was me, and I was towing alot, I'd get the sachs, w/ the organic linings, or the southbend conOFE. If youre not towing much, maybe go with the conFE, or this one. If your sled pulling get a dual disk.

Just my opinion, hope that helped.

Back to Fuel pump discussion