24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Truck left me stranded, code P1693

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 09:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wes in TN
Truck just got here, cracked the injector line closest to the front end, no fuel while cranking. Any ideas?
VP44 is dead! This is what they do when there is an internal mechanical failure.
Old 02-06-2006, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by RickCJ
VP44 is dead! This is what they do when there is an internal mechanical failure.
Not saying you are but I hope you're wrong.
Old 02-06-2006, 10:19 AM

It sounds like the VP has failed, sometimes they do this with no warning. Although it could be something else, as mentioned the cam or crank position sensor comes to mind. Check the codes with a good scanner and see what they show.

Doug Smith
Old 02-06-2006, 10:32 AM

Just to prepare myself for the worst, I know how much a VP44 costs ballpark but what about labor? Is this something I would even want to attempt myself? Also, I know all VP44s are reman now, who has the best price and who has the best quality? I'm not doing anything until I scan it, I just want to get prepared for what might come.
Old 02-06-2006, 10:33 AM

Also Cummins part numbers for the crank and cam sensors would really help. I may be chasing parts tonight.
Old 02-06-2006, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Wes in TN
Just to prepare myself for the worst, I know how much a VP44 costs ballpark but what about labor? Is this something I would even want to attempt myself? Also, I know all VP44s are reman now, who has the best price and who has the best quality? I'm not doing anything until I scan it, I just want to get prepared for what might come.
A VP44 can be had for a little less than $1100. Warranties vary but a 1 year warranty is pretty much standard, some have unlimited mileage and others don't. As for the installation its not too hard and I would suspect that you can do it yourself. We walk folks through the install weekly with no problems.

As for the sensors get your engine serial # off the data plate (drivers side of the timing cover) and give cummins a call. They can match up the exact part easily with that number.

Doug Smith
Old 02-06-2006, 11:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
you may try the apps reset procedure....i know it has WORKED for me a few times. I have never had the problem you had though...so it probably wont...but worth a try.
Old 02-06-2006, 05:08 PM

It was what I was dreading and what everyone expected. It's the VP44, DOA. It might be rare but I guess this is a case where it gave no warning. I found one locally for $1098, one-year warranty. They don't rebuild them, they get them from a BOSCH distributor. Thanks for all the help. Given how closely I monitor the fuel pressure I was hoping this wouldn't be the problem but it is. If anyone has any VP44 swap tips feel free to share them here.
Old 02-06-2006, 06:31 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Look here for pretty good instructions with pics.
Old 02-06-2006, 07:49 PM

If your fuel pressure was 12-13 when cycling, then it was time to be replaced.

Your fuel had a high liklelyness that it was overheating.

Generally, washing your motor is a bad idea...

Merrick
Old 02-06-2006, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by MCummings
If your fuel pressure was 12-13 when cycling, then it was time to be replaced.

The lift pump is 2 weeks old and has about 100 miles on it. That pressure is from a pump mounted at the tank with a Vulcan big line kit. The pressure is normal.

Your fuel had a high liklelyness that it was overheating.

What?

Generally, washing your motor is a bad idea...

Merrick
Thanks for the tip.
Old 02-06-2006, 10:17 PM

Heh, Sorry for the obvious.

I BF'ed on the Vulcan kit.

Discussions on another board have been experimenting with the Fuel temperature not going over 40*F above ambient. IIRC A stock truck can easily have over 100*F over ambient.

It seems trucks that maintain low fuel temperatures have a longer IP life.

Merrick
Old 02-07-2006, 07:18 AM

I have been somewhat following that thread also.
My understanding of their testing is that fuel temps pretty much run 15*-20* above outside air temps. This is everywhere...entering the VP-44, returning to the tank, sitting in the tank! This is, of course, while operating your truck.
I thought the only time the temps shot up was the heat soak within the first hour after shutting down.

While the heat soak may help fry the electronics on the VP-44, I personally thought the testing was not particularly meaningful. If this heat soak was such a problem...wouldn't the number of VP-44 failures in the south be much higher than in cooler climates..... which does not appear to be the case??

RJ
Old 02-07-2006, 07:54 AM
Chapter President

Just thinking out loud here..................

I wonder if the extreme cold has the same effect on the electronics. Could the cold be causing the circuit boards to warp or crack? I know that many years ago when I was making boards, our cold temp testing was just a rigid and the hot test.
Old 02-08-2006, 08:13 PM

I got the new injection pump installed and I'm back on the road. It wasn't bad at all. Hopefully the injector pump won't turn into a regular maintenance item like the lift pump.

Quick Reply: Truck left me stranded, code P1693