24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

truck driven a mile with gasoline

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 09:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
truck driven a mile with gasoline

I am on vacation, putting up a fence and pressed for time. I have the back of the truck full of stuff to take to the dump.
My sons' car was rear ended and has been driving the truck at night to his 2nd shift job. He was almost out of fuel and put in 2 1/2 gallons of gasoline in it last night and drove it a mile home.
I understand that it could have screwed stuff up and I will deal with it if needed but right now I need to get the gasoline out of the fuel system and see if it will go.
I have a posting under "24 valve engine and drivetrain" called:
"truck driven a mile with gasoline".

I dont know how I should get this stuff out of there. Do I need to pull the fuel tank to be sure I got it all? Or can I disconnect the line between the lift pump and the IP to drain the tank with the lift pump? the truck is sitting on an incline right now and i am afraid to crank it long enough to move it to level ground.

Getting the fuel out of the IP - disconnect the lines at the injectors and pump it out with the short cycles of the IP? I wouldn't think I would want this fuel going into the cylinders.

I also saw a reply during a forum search that said I could blow the system out with air. If I blow compressed air into the line past the lift pump will it blow out the IP? I would not think that would work unless I was turning over the IP.

I appreciate the help....gary
Old 05-09-2012, 10:04 AM

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
just fill it up with #2 and drive it. don`t worry `bout the 2 gal of gasoline. if you`re really worried, just put in 1 qt 30wt motor oil or 2 stroke oil before you fill with #2.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:41 AM

Really?

Really? Is that all there is to it? There may be straight gasoline in the fuel lines right now. The tank had to be nearly empty when he put it in.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:45 AM

OK, I have a quart of ashless oil. 5 gallons of diesel to pour on top of the gasoline and get me to the station.

I don't want to doubt anyone's word on here or p*** anyone off. I have always gotten great advice on DTR. I also realize that everyone who has worked with this situation knows more about than I do but I will ask again anyway.

I do not know the gas to diesel mix. If there is any chance that I have nearly straight gasoline headed towards the IP, am I ok to run the engine until the correct stuff gets into the pump? I would guess that the ratio at best is 50/50 gas to diesel.

Please pardon the size of my gonads here guys...thanks ...gary
Old 05-09-2012, 11:59 AM

I would get the fuel out of the tank by jumping the fuel pump relay, and open the filter drain. Install new filter fill with diesel, add some 2 stroke if you are worried. These engines can take alittle more then the HPCR motors.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:33 PM

OK. Thanks to everyone for the replies....gary
Old 05-09-2012, 07:50 PM

Hey it happens! You aren't the first one. Just remember, if the truck was running when he put in the gas, it isn't running straight gas to the IP. There was probably 5 gals of diesel in the tank. Top it off with diesel, add a qurt of 2 cycle for good measure and drive on. It will be fine.
Old 05-12-2012, 04:43 PM

Received 152 Likes on 131 Posts
Just a heads up, when my truck is on E and the light is on I still have around 5-6 gallons of fuel in there, many other show a false Empty also, so topping up with diesel and running some 2-stroke or 30W should be non threatening to your engine.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by SIXSLUG
Just a heads up, when my truck is on E and the light is on I still have around 5-6 gallons of fuel in there, many other show a false Empty also, so topping up with diesel and running some 2-stroke or 30W should be non threatening to your engine.
Wish my truck was that way apparently, 1/4 tank is empty, I ran out of full last week. Getting towed by a Ford Escape is pretty embarrassing.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:28 AM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
thankfully, hopefully, there is no video of this tragic event
Old 05-13-2012, 06:59 PM

Received 152 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by Purplezr2
Wish my truck was that way apparently, 1/4 tank is empty, I ran out of full last week. Getting towed by a Ford Escape is pretty embarrassing.
That is illegal in Washington!