24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Truck Died, Need Some Help Please...

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck Died, Need Some Help Please...

Ok, No issues from this truck the whole time I have had it. Had 100000 mile service when I first purchased and it has been only oil and filter changes in the last 60,000 Miles.

I drive to work today, The truck ran fine. I stop at the gas station on the way, start pulling out of the parking lot and it dies and does not restart. It did not sputter, it did not do anything wierd, it just quit running and would not hit at all when trying to restart.

Where do I start checking? I changed the fuel filter and put some extra gas in it (I was very low, but not out according to gage). So lets say for some reason regardless of the what the gage says, I am out of fuel, if I crank it now, how long till it fires?

After I confirm that I did not run it out of fuel, how to check if I am getting fuel past the filter?

I have read that I can crack an injector line to check for fuel, do I do this at the engine block or at the pump?

Any other ideas of what to check?

I have never gotten around to installing the lift pump pressure gage unfortunatley.

Thanks....gary

Old 07-09-2009, 12:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Chances are your fuel sending unit is bad. Dump in 5 gallons of fuel. You will need to crack injectors 1, 3 & 4 at the head and turn over until it starts. Then, once its running tighten them up and go fill up.

If you changed out the fuel filter and it still does not start, there is a good possibility the lift pump is bad. You need to get a FP gauge on there and find out.

You REALLY need a FP gauge on there...
Old 07-09-2009, 12:12 PM

more info

Found the lift pump on the engine and had my son flip the key while I was touching it. The lift pump buzzed for a few seconds and then shut off.

Is there any way to check trouble codes by flipping the key back and forth or something like that? Or do I have to have a code checker to actually pull codes?

thanks...gary
Old 07-09-2009, 12:27 PM

Mr

Originally Posted by klx650a2
Chances are your fuel sending unit is bad. Dump in 5 gallons of fuel. You will need to crack injectors 1, 3 & 4 at the head and turn over until it starts. Then, once its running tighten them up and go fill up.

If you changed out the fuel filter and it still does not start, there is a good possibility the lift pump is bad. You need to get a FP gauge on there and find out.

You REALLY need a FP gauge on there...
Thank you much for the response klx650a2.

Injector 1, 3 & 4, that is counting back from the radiator right?

Yes, you are right. there is a real need for a gage, I have meant to do that and just never got it done.

OK, since I dont have that, is there anyway to plumb up to one of the fittings coming off of the lift pump to check with a gage I have on hand? I have lots of low and high pressure hydraulic gages and I have lots of double flare fittings on hand. I see there is a pressure gage port below the main fuel pump, but unsure of the fitting needed to check the pressure at this port. Any way to tie into the line somewhere with my flair fittings and attach a gage to this system?
thanks....gary
Old 07-09-2009, 01:51 PM

Yes, counting the injectors, starting at the front of the truck. Just use a crescent to crack them fairly loose. Diesel should start to come out of them after about 5-10 seconds of cranking, maybe a little more and the truck should start. It will be running REALLY rough, but with it running (I shut mine off and tightened them) tighten the injectors.

Regarding the pressure gauge, if you follow the pipe from the fuel filter to the injection pump connector, just to the left of that should be a test port. You can unscrew the schrader type valve and connect into there. This will give you a temporary fuel pressure gauge at the injection pump which is where you want to test. Its lots easier and cleaner to test there than fiddling with the fuel filter, etc. I have a banjo bolt at the injection pump so I see the FP at the pump.

Good luck, let us know how things go.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:55 PM

Just a though, before cracking open injectors see if you can get a hold of an OBDII scanner and see if you have any of the injector pump codes. That is why my 99 did when it died.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:59 PM

Can we assume you put DIESEL fuel in , not gas??
Old 07-09-2009, 02:01 PM

Oh boy, I did not want to entertain THAT thought, although if it did "just quit" that would be good as it won't hose the IP as much.

Did you put in diesel or gas into the fuel tank?
Old 07-09-2009, 02:02 PM

Also, you can cycle the key three time from off to on (do NOT touch the starter) ending with it in the on position. The odo window will show two sets of codes, what are they?
One more, if you bump the starter, the lift pump should run for 30 seconds. This does not mean it is pumping. Some slip on the shaft. Use a guage to determine pressure.
If you need a lift pump put your money towards an Airdog or Fass.
Old 07-09-2009, 02:32 PM

Dont Worry!

Originally Posted by j-fox
Can we assume you put DIESEL fuel in , not gas??

I didn't get fuel at the stop before it quit, I was running late to work and didn't feel I had the time. So it was just a coffee stop.

This is the only vehicle I drive, if I ever put the wrong fuel into a vehicle, it will be diesel into a gasoline tank,

thanks...gary
Old 07-09-2009, 02:43 PM

Mr

Originally Posted by j-fox
Also, you can cycle the key three time from off to on (do NOT touch the starter) ending with it in the on position. The odo window will show two sets of codes, what are they?
One more, if you bump the starter, the lift pump should run for 30 seconds. This does not mean it is pumping. Some slip on the shaft. Use a guage to determine pressure.
If you need a lift pump put your money towards an Airdog or Fass.
That was what I was looking for to pull codes, I did this earlier but did not look at the odometer window.....

The only thing I recieved from the odometer window after doing this was:
"P done"
Old 07-09-2009, 02:52 PM

No codes, thats good, lets assume its your lift pump and or sending unit...
Old 07-09-2009, 03:14 PM

Mr

Yes, counting the injectors, starting at the front of the truck. Just use a crescent to crack them fairly loose. Diesel should start to come out of them after about 5-10 seconds of cranking, maybe a little more and the truck should start. It will be running REALLY rough, but with it running (I shut mine off and tightened them) tighten the injectors.
Well I cracked them, the wife turned over for about 12 seconds and there was no sign of fuel.

Regarding the pressure gauge, if you follow the pipe from the fuel filter to the injection pump connector, just to the left of that should be a test port. You can unscrew the schrader type valve and connect into there. This will give you a temporary fuel pressure gauge at the injection pump which is where you want to test. Its lots easier and cleaner to test there than fiddling with the fuel filter, etc. I have a banjo bolt at the injection pump so I see the FP at the pump.

I have rigged a possible way to check the pressure. I have two connectors in the area that you are talking about. Here is a pic:

Ok, If I remove the conector on the left, should I be able to thread a connector of some kind into this?

.....thanks...gary
Old 07-09-2009, 03:55 PM

Correct lift pump?

Is this a suitable lift pump to install?

http://www.thoroughbreddiesel.com/fass/DDRP.htm

Do you guys have a sponsor I should buy if from if needed?

thanks...gary
Old 07-09-2009, 04:36 PM
Administrator

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts
DDRP is a good choice for stock replacement.

Unless it is significantly higher, I try and buy from the DTR store......

Check this out:

http://store.dieseltruckresource.com/fadidorepudo.html

And if you happen to think you might need to crack the Injectors alongside the road, buy a cheap 19 MM open end wrench and throw it in the truck. Heck I don't have a 24V and I still carry one, rather have it when my buddy runs out of fuel, yet again.

Quick Reply: Truck Died, Need Some Help Please...