24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Transmission Slipping during Left Turns

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2004, 03:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission Slipping during Left Turns

I'm having a bit of a wierd problem with my automatic in my 2001 Dodge. About a month ago the intermediate band fell off causing me to lose 2ng gear and block the shift rail from going into park. I took it in and had it hooked back up in place and adjusted.

Now just after a week or so of having this done, the transmission seems to be slipping but only when I make left turns. It's quite weird. It doesn't to it at any other time, only every time I make a left turn. If I coast most of the turn then moderately throttle in to pickup speed then it seems fine, but any normal throttle through the turn will cause it to slip and when it comes back, it jolts pretty hard. Could be abruptly upshifting instead of slipping...? It's hard to tell.

The fluid levels are good. The transmission does have over 100,000 miles on it. I'm hoping that you guys might have heard about this kind of thing before.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 05-21-2004, 04:11 PM
Banned

Make sure the fluid is checked properly.

Drive truck at least eight miles, park on level ground, set parking brake, put transmission through all the gears, R,N,3,2,1 and then back to N, then check fluid level.

Some even say the correct way is to leave it in gear with parking brake on and wheels chocked, then check fluid level. They say this is a more correct way which would simulate fluid levels while driving.
Old 05-21-2004, 06:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the way you describe the slippage it is almost a sure bet that it is low on fluid or the filter never got reinstalled.
Old 05-21-2004, 07:02 PM

if you look on page 117 of your owners manual, it states " DO NOT MAKE LEFT TURNS WITH THESE TRUCKS" it is bad on the transmissions, apps's , vp 44,s and lift pumps!!
Old 05-21-2004, 07:15 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just had mine into the dealer for the 30k transmission service, and complaints about occasional slipping.

Their transmission guy started out by going on a test drive,
and I assume he did everything he could to make it slip.
It didn't.

He then found me and asked when I notice it slipping, and specifically said "does it do it while turning?"
To which I replied no, freeway onramps mainly.

This makes me think there is something up with your complaint.

You don't say where in Utah you are located, but I took mine to West Valley Dodge on 35th south west of Bangerter because I heard a rumor they have an "on top of it" transmission guy.

You might give that a try if possible.

phox
Old 05-21-2004, 08:01 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
It's very typical that after refilling, the tranny will "Burp" an air bubble after a few days/miles leaving the fluid level a little low.
Old 05-21-2004, 08:26 PM

Originally posted by Shovelhead
It's very typical that after refilling, the tranny will "Burp" an air bubble after a few days/miles leaving the fluid level a little low.
Well, do I feel like a stupid one.

I checked the fluid 2 weeks ago before heading on a short trip. It read low, but it was showing up on the dip stick. I added a quart and was on my way. The problem didn't go away though. In fact, it seemed like it was getting worse.

I checked the fluid again today after work like blue bull suggested, ran it through all the gears and put it neutral. What do you know, it wasn't even showing on the stick. It was down two and a half quarts.

Problem solved!

I appreciate all of your help! I feel much better about the truck now. I can build rock buggies, but **** I'm an idiot when it comes to automatic transmissions.
Old 05-21-2004, 08:27 PM

Originally posted by herb
if you look on page 117 of your owners manual, it states " DO NOT MAKE LEFT TURNS WITH THESE TRUCKS" it is bad on the transmissions, apps's , vp 44,s and lift pumps!!
Old 05-21-2004, 08:36 PM

Don't take ALL the blame for that one. Like Shovelhead said, it may burp out an air bubble or two, but you have had to add 3 1/2 quarts since you had it serviced? Double check for leaks and if there are none, the guy who serviced it didn't do a good enough job getting it full in the first place.

BTW, I had the same problem (2nd gear band) at 42,000 miles and they told me I needed a complete rebuild ($4000.00). They ended up paying half because it was so close to still being in warranty, but in hindsight, it probably didn't need that much work. If I had it to do over, it would be an aftermarket tranny for me considering the $2000.00 out of my pocket. The autos in these trucks give a new meaning to "slush box".
Old 05-23-2004, 02:22 AM

Originally posted by amartinson
Don't take ALL the blame for that one. Like Shovelhead said, it may burp out an air bubble or two, but you have had to add 3 1/2 quarts since you had it serviced? Double check for leaks and if there are none, the guy who serviced it didn't do a good enough job getting it full in the first place.

BTW, I had the same problem (2nd gear band) at 42,000 miles and they told me I needed a complete rebuild ($4000.00). They ended up paying half because it was so close to still being in warranty, but in hindsight, it probably didn't need that much work. If I had it to do over, it would be an aftermarket tranny for me considering the $2000.00 out of my pocket. The autos in these trucks give a new meaning to "slush box".
That's the strange thing about it... I haven't seen any leaks at all. If it had that bad of a leak I'm sure I would have caught it in one of my two daily parking spots at work and home. I'm gonna watch even closer now. Nothing noticable underneath though.

And like I said, it was up to level before the trip... but all of a sudden it was almost 3 quarts low? I'll keep an eye on it for sure.

And I do have plans on an aftermarket tranny for when this one finally bites it. Hopefull not too soon though.

Thanks again!