24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Transmission Saga

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 06:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission Saga

This may be a little long so I apologize in advanced.

About 6 months ago, my truck started to shudder a little when it would go into 3rd lock up. I had apx 60k on the truck and did some research and basically came to the conclusion after speaking with several transmission shops that since I didn't have very many miles on the truck I could just do a valve body and tc.

At the same time, I had them pierce the injection pump wire.

This is where my problems began. The transmission would work fine when I drove it around town and to work. However, when I pull my atv trailer or camp trailer, when I get off of the highway, the transmission won't shift to 1st on its own or even if I put the lever to first. I believe this is what they call going into "limp mode". To get it to clear up, I have to turn the truck off and restart it.

I took it into another shop that came as a personal reference and they belived the cause of it was 2 selinoids (SP). At this same time, they told me that my 2nd gear band strut was shot and the transmission needed to be rebuilt. So lucky me, I am now out 8k for this thing!!!

I had the complete transmission rebuilt by this company this past week. I then went camping this weekend and this is what happened. On the way there, going up a steep hill out of Salt Lake (Paryleys Canyon), some cars pulled out in front of me so I had to slow way down. I put the lever into 2nd gear and nothing happened, the truck wanted to remain in 3rd lockup. So I gave it quite a bit of fuel to get it to shift, but I don't know if it went into 3rd or 2nd.
What would cause this?

Then, on the way back from camping, I had the problem again where it wouldn't shift down to 1st after coming to a stop.

I took it back to the transmission company and they don't see any problems with it and of course can't duplicate the problem. The voltages are all within spec. As a guess, they put in a noise filter to see if that will take care of it.

On the same trip, I started to get the dreaded "dead pedal" which I understand most likely is the injection pump. The codes that were in the computer were: PO236, PO216 and PO1763.

Please give me some insights on the transmission issues.