24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Transmission repair

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 08:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission repair

I posted in an earlier thread that I have lost 3/4 gear in my NV4500. You guys were very helpful in helping me identify my issue. I plan to rip the trans out this weekend. After I do my understanding is that I should remove the top cover and look to see if the 3/4 gear shift fork has dropped out of position. I am by no means new to wrenching but I am new to internal tranny work, any tips or ideas that you think may help me identify/repair my problem would be much appreciated. Can't haul four kids around on the motorcycle lol
Old 05-04-2012, 12:19 PM

Received 152 Likes on 131 Posts
Search it on youtube, you may find a video on the repair. There are many for the vp44 and other Dodge stuff.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:17 PM
Administrator

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts
LOL, it sounds more intimidating than it is. You really aren't going inside the trans. When you get the top cover off, it should become very apparent if you have an issue. The good thing is it will all be in your hand ( top cover ), so you can easily put it on the bench and work on it.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:49 AM

Patdaly
Great to hear, thank you.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:21 PM

Got the driveshafts, crossmembers, and transfer case out today. Plan to get the tranny out tomorrow. Will repost once I have a better idea as to what happened in there.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:53 PM

Ok, success! I got the tranny out today. What a beast that thing is. Had to jack the truck up to be able to get it out from under the truck. Soaked the top cover bolts in PB blaster for the evening plan to pull the top cover off tomorrow.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:22 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by weiercd
Ok, success! I got the tranny out today. What a beast that thing is. Had to jack the truck up to be able to get it out from under the truck. Soaked the top cover bolts in PB blaster for the evening plan to pull the top cover off tomorrow.
Cool, clean around the top good, take it as straight up as possible, if the problem isn't apparent right away, take a picture of the underside of the top plate and post it.

Yea, they are heavy suckers.....
Old 05-07-2012, 09:07 AM

Will do thanks
Old 05-07-2012, 06:08 PM

I'm afraid it might be bad news. The shift forks and rods are all in place and seem to function fine. I played around with the gears a bit and am guessing that 3/4 gear are the set furthest to the front of the transmission. I played them in neutral then "shifted" it forward into one gear, I was able to freely spin the input and output shafts in opposite directions. I then shifted back past neutral into the other gear and was able to do the same. I am not a transmission mechanic but this is the conclusion I came to after playing around, this also tells me that those gears are somehow seperated from the main shaft
Old 05-07-2012, 06:10 PM

Transmission repair-imageuploadedbytapatalk1336432173.527579.jpgTransmission repair-imageuploadedbytapatalk1336432204.143176.jpg
Old 05-07-2012, 06:50 PM

I am really hoping that my guessing is horribly wrong and that I am doing something stupid, otherwise this could get pricey quick
Old 05-08-2012, 08:13 AM
Administrator

No, I think you are essentially correct. Something doesn't still smell right.

When you slip it forward on the front set of gears ( 3 and 4 ), into 4th gear, which is direct drive though, you still should not be able to rotate the shafts in opposite directions. The power in 4th removes any countershaft function, and it goes right from the input shaft to the main shaft. To me at least, this indicates the synchro lugs on the slider are stripped. Can you get a good close up picture of the slider and synchro lugs on the input shaft? If you don't know what they are, they are the pointed lugs around the back side of the gear that the slider goes over and engages the gear.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:20 PM

Transmission repair-imageuploadedbytapatalk1336501076.049841.jpg
This is what I have with me. Will take more when I get home. I thought about it some more and maybe this info will be useful. When I slide it forward, and rotate the output share everything except those front gears doent rotate with it. Since the countershaft engages at the rear, would this mean that of the gears were stripped from the mainshaft?
Old 05-08-2012, 01:24 PM

That sounded confusing and auto correct didn't help. I meant when I shift into that front set of gears into the forward or rear position and rotate the output shaft, that those gears do not rotate with the output shaft.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:39 PM

Found a tranny shop willing to tear it down for 100 bucks. Reassembly minus any new parts would be another 100. Sounds very reasonable to me. If you would be able to help me identify what might be broken, along with advise what I should have replaced while it is apart it would be much appreciated. This way I can best prepare for the financial damage.

Quick Reply: Transmission repair