24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

transmission jumping 3rd to 4th to 3rd

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 08:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
transmission jumping 3rd to 4th to 3rd

1999 diesel, auto, 2wd, 100,000 miles. just started- at 40-50mph the truck is bounceing back and forth between gears (3rd-4th and back to 3rd). at 40,000 miles or so, I replaced defective speed sensor for shifting late out of 1st. also at the time replaced ATF and adjusted bands, which were good.
1. could it be shift solenoid?
2. or pressure solenoid?
3. are these dealer only items?

I'm going to check for codes today.

thanks, Buckman
Old 10-06-2008, 11:54 AM

im have same problem on my 95 with 137k miles....
Old 10-06-2008, 12:37 PM

Search noise filter and lockup. What might be happening is noise from a bad dirty ground is not allowing the electric signal to be processed for the lockup of the converter. some clean the grounds on the battery, others all grounds from the block and chassis and others wrap the black with Orange tracer wire from the back of the alt to the battery with tin foil and some over fill the trans by 1 qt and lastly people buy a noise filter from DTT or other builders.

Good luck. My fix was 1 qt more fluid and tin foil on the alt wire.
Old 10-06-2008, 03:11 PM

just checked for codes= nothing, also checked for dirty grounds. added 1 qt. of fluid and seems to be ok, but still need to drive a longer distance. hope it's good to go.
thanks
Old 10-06-2008, 07:53 PM

Check out the stickied thread, (Common Problems...), at the top of this forum. I've gone hither and yon gathering a number of reported cheap and easy solutions to this problem. Pick one or more that look good to you and give them a try.

Good luck.
Old 10-06-2008, 08:16 PM

Very common issue. Mine did the exact same thing. I cleaned all the visible ground wires...ran a few extra's that did nothing. I added the DTT noise filter and have had not 1 issue since. They are cheap, easy to install and work great
Old 10-07-2008, 08:38 PM

trans . jumping between gears

Transmission guy told me that there's a very easy fix. They don't like to spead it around though. He told me to get all the battery cables super clean, bright,and shiney. I didn't think it would work. Anyway I had a battery go bad, replaced both of them and put new cables on, problem gone. Just clean everything up. Try it,worked for me.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:34 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We've had the same issue with our 98.5 for YEARS, off and on. Replaced the TPS. Didn't do anything except make my wallet $300 lighter. Talked to Dodge dealer, then cleaned all the grounds as also suggested in this thread; solved the problem for awhile. Problem reappeared, grounds still clean, talked to Dodge dealer. Did the tin foil trick; that worked for awhile. Problem reappeared again, grounds still clean, tin foil in place. Dealer showed me a wire harness connector on the left side up near the firewall. Take it apart, clean with electrical cleaner and coat with dielectric grease. Problem fixed for about a year. Problem reappears yet again. Go thru all the above AGAIN, problem still exists. Dodge dealer useless at this point because they're getting sick of seeing me. Brought truck to a private garage that's pretty good with general big truck stuff. They said, "Oh yeah, we found it. Just a simple adjustment of a shift cable from the throttle area on the engine to the tranny. Been about a year now and still no problems... yet.

Hope this helps somehow.

chaikwa.
Old 10-08-2008, 03:38 AM

Been there, done some of that also. My latest fix was a capicator (condenser) wired to alt positive post and mounted to alt hsg. The issue must have to do with electrical noise the alternator generates but does not suppress adequatelly. I to have tried most of fixes listed above. The other bigge was shielding the positive output wire with braided cable over the wire and grounded the braid. this is a wierd issue with no one for sure fix.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:08 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Exact same problem. I wrapped the alt wire w/foil and elec tape and then I also found a loose batt ground. Not sure which corrected the shifting problem but one of the two corrected it...my guess would be the loose ground connection.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:19 AM

All of the above sounds OK.... I would also suggest that you take a look under the truck at the drivers side of the tranny. Towards the front there is a spot where the cable from the throttle comes down to the tranny. There should be a spring that helps this linkage return to the "no throttle " position. My spring had worn through on one end and was just hanging there. I was able to bend it and re-attach it and I've had no problems since then.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My cousin had that problem I had him cut the black wire with yellow tracer on the apps which is pin 4 and run both connections to battery ground(the cut end from the apps and the one from the ecm. He done this and has fixed it for over 7 months now. I searched it and it also came up on the suncoast website