24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

transmission fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2003, 02:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
transmission fluid change

got a quick question...is their a way you can drain ALL the fluid instead of the 5-6 quarts that comes out? i tried un-doing the hard lines and running the vehicle ( works on some other trannys) and no luck....book sez the tranny dry would take 17 quarts if new....just wondering...
Old 06-06-2003, 04:17 PM

Re:transmission fluid change

You could theoretically tap the tq, thread and then place a plug in. Maybe??????
Old 06-08-2003, 11:00 AM

There is a drainplug on my DTT TC, makes life easy. So you could probably drill and tap one on a stock TC.
Old 06-08-2003, 03:21 PM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts

If you don't want to drill your TC (maybe some balancing considerations) you can increase the amount of ATF you get out of the tranny by doing the following:<br>Normal drain<br>Loosen bolts on the VB and wiggle the VB<br>Loosen cooler hard lines and blow free with clean shop air. <br><br>This is about what you can do with the stock tranny AFAIK<br><br>HTH<br><br>AlpineRAM
Old 06-08-2003, 08:22 PM

[quote author=AlpineRAM link=board=4;threadid=15583;start=0#147110 date=1055103675]<br>If you don't want to drill your TC (maybe some balancing considerations) . . .<br>AlpineRAM<br>[/quote]<br><br>Don't, don't, DON'T drill, tap and plug your TC! It WILL cause serious balancing problems. DTT can put in drain plugs; 1. At the proper place and 2. Rebalance the TC<br><br>My 3 cents........Stan
Old 06-10-2003, 06:31 AM

[quote author=barracuda link=board=4;threadid=15583;start=0#146533 date=1054926464]
i tried un-doing the hard lines and running the vehicle ( works on some other trannys) and no luck....[/quote]
What do you mean no luck? You couldn't un-do the hard lines? Or you did but nothin' came out? Was the engine running? Did you put it in N or leave it in P?

That method has always worked for me. Heck I've used the same method to flush power steering systems too.
Old 06-10-2003, 07:11 AM

I am about to do the same thing on my 1997, good advice, do not drill and tap TC. I also do not like blowing air into the lines unless you are only blowing out fluid in the cooler and the cooler lines are disconnected (both feed and return) from the tranny. Then only LOW presure. <br><br>The &quot;pump it out of the lines&quot; method has always worked in the past for my other vehicles (but I have never done a dodge yet-will this week). If it did not &quot;pump out&quot; in park then try nuetral. Have a bucket handy and a length of hose to hook up to the tranny line to route into that bucket. Be careful on how much you pump out versus how much you add. You can't add fluid fast enough. It's better to let vehicle run for about 45 seconds to a minute, shut off and then add. You will see bright red (clean) fluid when all the old is pumped out. <br><br>Doing the search feature, this is what I have read: the out line (to the cooler) is the front line on the tranny (towards the front of the truck) it will go to the &quot;heat exchanger&quot; in the block and then to the cooler. Usually the &quot;in&quot; or &quot;hot&quot; (fluid that needs to be cooled) line to the cooler is the bottom one on the cooler itself so the fluid is pushed up to the top of the cooler (it is more efficient this way), and the out line (or fluid leaving the cooler and going back to the tranny) is usally the top line/fitting. This is the line you want to disconnect and add a hose to. <br><br>Go slow until you get a feel for how much fluid will pump out in a given amount of time. Don't pump out to much, and change filter and add new fluid before starting the pumping method. After filter change, but before pumping, just add the same amount that was removed. Don't start the truck, if you do, it will mix old with new. Only start the truck after the cooler line is disconnected (so all the old stuff is pumped out).<br><br>Hope this helps a little, and please somebody-if I am wrong, jump right in and set me straight. Kevin
Old 06-12-2003, 01:17 PM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts

Bearfoot- I didn't suggest drilling and putting a drainplug into the TC...I was a little ironic about &quot;maybe some balancing considerations&quot; <br><br>AlpineRAM
Old 06-14-2003, 10:40 AM

go to Amsoil.com., then Products, then Transmission Fluids. Scroll down you'll see (12 easy steps to changing trans fluid). hope this helps John