24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Transfer Case Output Shaft Bearing Change

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 02:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transfer Case Output Shaft Bearing Change

I had a bad carrier bearing, changed it this morning. But I still have a noise when I give it some throttle, goes away when I let off or coast.

I THINK I know what it is now, but not sure.

At the rear of the transfer case where the driveshaft goes in I have a oil leak. So I am guessing here that the bad carrier bearing caused the bearing and seal on this shaft to go bad.

I ordered a transfer case output shaft bearing and seal that I will have tomorrow morning.

Does this seem logical?

Can anyone tell me what is involved in changing this bearing? Do I remove the shaft housing on the back of the transfer case. I had the whole drive shaft out today to change the carrier bearing, sure wish I would have checked that before I put it all back together.

It looks like I drop the driveshafts again, remove the four bolts holding the shaft housing on the rear of the transfer case. Am I correct? Is there a way to do this without dropping the drive shafts? I'm guessing not.

Thanks again guys.
Old 05-03-2008, 05:42 AM

I guess it's time to trade it in for a newer one.

Seems all the guys that used to help out around here must have moved on to the newer trucks.

I'll figure it out.
Old 05-04-2008, 07:12 AM

[QUOTE=Ram1999;2067101]I had a bad carrier bearing, changed it this morning. But I still have a noise when I give it some throttle, goes away when I let off or coast.

I would check the rear end. Description you give sounds a lot like time for a rear end rebuild. Sometime the only way to tell is to tear down, rebuild and see if noise goes away. You may have a bearing going bad and the only way to find it is to remove bearing and take the cage off to see inside.

Just a thought.

Robbie.
Old 05-04-2008, 09:38 AM

Well i found out that there is no bearings in the transfer case output housing. Just a bushing (?) and a seal at the end. I changed the seal, will return the bearing that Advanced Auto said goes in there.

The noise is still there.

Very noticeable in 5th gear. Give it some throttle you hear it, let off it goes away. I don't know where it's coming from, tranny, transfer case or rear end. Driving me nuts.

I don't do burn outs, haven't hauled anything heavy for many years. Truck only has 97,000 miles.

I can't tell if the noise is there in lower gears because the engine noise it too loud. I do think I can hear it in 4th too.

I was wondering about that 5th gear nut thing. I remember reading about it years ago but forget exactly what the story is with that.

It could be the rear end?
Old 05-04-2008, 03:49 PM

Let me know what else you find out.... I have a "dry bearing squeal" that comes under light throttle or when the load is released. Heavy throttle or heavy deceleration and all is quiet. Just started last week.
It sounds like a shot idler for the fan belt, but it is from under the truck for sure.