24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Transfer case leaks?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2002, 12:26 PM
DTR Advertiser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transfer case leaks?

Has anyone been in their transfercase? Mine is leaking out of the chain housing. Looks like there is RTV in there instead of a gasket. Anybody know if there is a gasket? It looks like I can pull the rear driveshaft and tailshaft housing to get it. If you have been in there let me know, please. Thanks Tim
Old 10-24-2002, 12:34 PM

Re:Transfer case leaks?

I haven't been inside the T-case, but it must be a common thing for them to leak. Mine has leaked since I bought the truck. It has been fixed 3 times now.<br><br><br><br>It still leaks.
Old 09-01-2004, 01:26 PM

Mine is leaking, so at 220000 miles what should I do while I have it out to replace seals etc.?? evan though mine is a 94 it should be the same as a 98 - right?? Thanks alot in advance
Old 09-02-2004, 09:23 AM

Re: Transfer case leaks?

Originally posted by Timinva
Has anyone been in their transfercase? Mine is leaking out of the chain housing. Looks like there is RTV in there instead of a gasket. Anybody know if there is a gasket? It looks like I can pull the rear driveshaft and tailshaft housing to get it. If you have been in there let me know, please. Thanks Tim

Tim,
I have been into a couple transfercases and you are correct there is no gasket it's an rtv seal. The tail housing has a seal but not the center/chain housing that you are asking about. On the tail housing there is a access cover with two allens that needs to be removed to gain access to the aft bearing. Remove the bolts to the aft housing then you will need to spread the retainer off the bearing this will allow the aft housing to come off.
The transfercase is a super simple well designed unit...
Old 09-02-2004, 08:08 PM
DTR Advertiser

Opie, I have went all through mine now. Still got a small leak somewhere though. I had forgot about posting this and seen my name under starter, then realized I posted it 2 years ago. Thanks for the insight though, when I first pulled it apart I didnt know about the access cover. I see you have put down 750hp now, congrats. Tim
Old 09-02-2004, 08:37 PM

I have taken mine apart three times trying to stop the leak. First time I used RTV super black (what ever it was called). I was crowded for time and the results weren't to good. The seconded time I used aviation gasket sealer and that was horrible the tranny fluid ate it like butter ( once again crowded for time, might have let it set longer that 15 mins would have helped). That same weekend I took it apart again and TOOK MY TIME, cleaned and dried all the surfaces and got a lot better results using a less amount of supe black RTV. Lasted about a week and started a very slow leak. I decided that the next time I take it apart I'm going to find the thinnest gasket material I can and make me a gasket. Also I would suggest taking the case halves apart in the truck. It is twice as fast as pulling the whole transfer case. The one tricky part is removing the tail shaft housing and reinstalling it. My tailshaft housing has a soft rubber plug on top abuot midway. You have to pull this plug to access the snap ring that retains the tailshaft bearing. After you pull the bolts in the housing you have to use some angle head spreader pliers to spread the snapring and pull the housing at the same time you are spreading the snapring. On the same token when reinstaling it helps to have someone under the truck with you to help pull on the output shaft while you spread the snapring. The output shaft has quite a lot of play untill you get the bearing race groove back on the snapring. You can hear and feel when the snap ring goes into place.You can feel in the top with your fingers and get a feel for what gap the snapring has in its natural state. And watch out for the oilpump it has to come out the same time you pull the case halves.
Old 09-03-2004, 09:17 AM

Originally posted by Timinva
Opie, I have went all through mine now. Still got a small leak somewhere though. I had forgot about posting this and seen my name under starter, then realized I posted it 2 years ago. Thanks for the insight though, when I first pulled it apart I didnt know about the access cover. I see you have put down 750hp now, congrats. Tim
Tim,
I overlooked the post dates, I just noticed it when checking for PM's. As for the 750, it was the first chance I had to dyno the new injectors from Don. I am very happy with the dyno graph, if time permits this year the truck should be heading into the 800's.

44-40,

Have you tried the RTV called "right stuff"? I use it in the caulk style cartrige. It has worked well for me with transfercase's.
Old 09-03-2004, 10:15 AM

http://193.96.97.20/int_henkel/locti...ange%20Sealant

I used that loctite 518 on my diff cover after having the silicone stuff leak on me

works great and required no setup time before I filled my diff