24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Transfer Case Filler Nut (MY FIX)

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 01:05 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Transfer Case Filler Nut (MY FIX)

After MUCH searching and not alot of posts to guide me, I took matters into my own questionable hands...
When I bought the truck, the transfer case filler nut was slilghtly stripped out, well when I tried to take it out I completed the rounding of the hole.

What I FINALLY had to do was slowly drill out the hole with a dull bit, just enough to get a #7 easy out to fit in and start to cut into the nut.
I had tried a square easy out that was loaned to my by my VW mechanic and it just rounded the hole out even more.

I spent a solid 2 hours going from one auto parts store to another (even tried Lowes and Tractor Supply) to find the #7 easyout. Finally found it at O'Reily's. It did cost $15, but would have paid much more than that for someone else to remove the nut.

I used a dull drill bit so that I wouldn't just PUNCH through the nut and leave metal shavings in the transfer case, though you could use a sharp one and be REALLY careful.

Here is a pic of the final result.
-Tim
Attached Thumbnails Transfer Case Filler Nut (MY FIX)-imag0002.jpg  
Old 06-28-2007, 01:31 PM

Location: My head lays down in Murrieta, but the day light hours are spent in San Diego, Ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GOOD JOB!!!!!! For a good selection of tools, you can always try Sears.
Old 06-28-2007, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by JPR Ram
GOOD JOB!!!!!! For a good selection of tools, you can always try Sears.
Great idea, only problem is the closest REAL sears store is 1 1/2 hours away Point with O'Rieley's was, of the three autoparts stores I had available, THEY had the tools I needed. The other two were Autozone and Advance Auto Parts.....

I was really shocked that there wasn't much info available here concerning the Filler Nut, the amazing thing was its cost from the local dealer... $1 plus tax.

Any body know a torq for this nut?

-Tim
Old 06-28-2007, 04:23 PM

Location: My head lays down in Murrieta, but the day light hours are spent in San Diego, Ca.
short of the actual torque setting, just snug it in so it doesn't leak. thats all i've ever done on various vehicles. never had any problems to date.
Old 06-28-2007, 04:41 PM

Filler Nut popped

In my research on what to do about the stripped filler nut, I read several posts that talked about it backing out. Of course, nothing was mentioned about how tight it had been put in to begin with...
Was gonna cover myself and tighten to torq specs, but couldn't find any.

-Tim
Old 06-28-2007, 04:46 PM

I can completely understand. Thats why I used the word "snug". I learned the hard way (several times no less) a very long time ago about over tightening nut's and bolt's.
Old 06-29-2007, 08:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just use teflon tape or liquid, or RTV sealant, and I don't have to worry about leaks or the plug backing out.