24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Transfer case designation....where to find it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 10:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transfer case designation....where to find it?

I tried searching this a couple of different ways and I think that because the question is sooo basic I kept getting a ton of results but none on point. That or the usual newbiw search operator error. Where do I find the model number of my transfer case? I have the 5 speed manual so that would be the NV4500 transmission, correct? It seems that there were two transfer cases available from some of the searches, the NP205 and the NP435. How can I confirm which one I have? Thanks.

This all started because I was going through the records from my Landcruiser build and remebered that that transfer case was already setup for PTO, apparently as is this one. Though In the Landcruiser case it really was just an issue of putting together the parts for the PTO drive line, i.e. shaft, joints, etc to get you into business. Obviously you'd still need to connect whatever you wanted the PTO to drive, an auger, hydraulic pump, winch (mechanical or hydraulic).
In my situation I would be looking at a rear mounted winch. Each option, electric, mechnical or hydraulic comes with a set of challenges that I am currently noodling. Thanks.
Old 04-26-2016, 02:27 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
[QUOTE=City Rat;3302578]I tried searching this a couple of different ways and I think that because the question is sooo basic I kept getting a ton of results but none on point. That or the usual newbiw search operator error. Where do I find the model number of my transfer case? I have the 5 speed manual so that would be the NV4500 transmission, correct? It seems that there were two transfer cases available from some of the searches, the NP205 and the NP435. How can I confirm which one I have? Thanks.

there will be a tag on the case that will tell you what you have, and the np435 is a four speed transmission..... NP435 4 speed manual ? Transmission Guide | ClassicBroncos.com Tech Articles
Old 04-26-2016, 05:02 PM
Administrator

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts
Originally Posted by City Rat
I tried searching this a couple of different ways and I think that because the question is sooo basic I kept getting a ton of results but none on point. That or the usual newbiw search operator error. Where do I find the model number of my transfer case? I have the 5 speed manual so that would be the NV4500 transmission, correct? It seems that there were two transfer cases available from some of the searches, the NP205 and the NP435. How can I confirm which one I have? Thanks.

This all started because I was going through the records from my Landcruiser build and remebered that that transfer case was already setup for PTO, apparently as is this one. Though In the Landcruiser case it really was just an issue of putting together the parts for the PTO drive line, i.e. shaft, joints, etc to get you into business. Obviously you'd still need to connect whatever you wanted the PTO to drive, an auger, hydraulic pump, winch (mechanical or hydraulic).
In my situation I would be looking at a rear mounted winch. Each option, electric, mechnical or hydraulic comes with a set of challenges that I am currently noodling. Thanks.
As John pointed out, the NP435 is a trans.

You have 2 possibilities, both are a NP241.

There is a 241 DLD, which is a lighter duty TC with a bolt on rear tailhousing. I do not believe the DLD had a PTO option.

Many 5 speed trucks had the 241 DHD, which had the PTO option on the side, and a cast in tailhousing.

There is a round tag on the rear case which should indicate which variety you have if it isn't clear from looking at it.

Another thing for you to know is all the Auto trucks had 23 spline inputs and the Manuals had 29 spline.

The NP 205 was used on the first gens.
Old 04-27-2016, 11:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Excellent information, thanks gents. I'll get under there this weekend and look and see what I have. Much appreciated.
Old 04-28-2016, 10:51 AM

Received 142 Likes on 108 Posts
Correct..... Only two transfer case options in the diesel trucks. The 241DLD or the 241DHD. The DHD is a heavier duty version and comes with the PTO option which is identified by the access plate approximately 4x6 inches in size found on the passenger side facing downward at an angle.

You should also see a round ID plate screwed to the rear housing with the transfer case model or the build sheet possibly stuck to the inside of the glove box.