24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Trans took a dump....... am I being robbed for the rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2005, 03:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Trans took a dump....... am I being robbed for the rebuild?

I took it in and they say the fluid was black and had metal in the fluid...... not the normal small shavings They say the TC is dust and the valve body is shot. I asked how much for a triple lock TC and a beefier valve body and the rebuild and they say between 3k to 4k!! That hurts...... is this estimate average for built auto trans with 4x4?
The shop is very respected in our area and they only do trans work and builds. I have heard of many that have used them and was refered there by just as many others.

edit... also they say that the testing revealed that the TC is supposed to opperate with 50rpms or something like that and mine is at 350..... I was also getting a bad shudder when letting off the go pedal at times.
Old 06-04-2005, 04:23 PM

you can buy a complete aftermarket trans with all of the goodies for less then 4k and instaling a trans...even on a 4x4 is nothing major to do yourself. For that kind of cash I would buy one already built and install it myself or have them install it. My local shop wants $2200 for a heavy rebuild with low stall single disc...tripple would be $400 more. You dont have much done to your turck...a regular trans with a supplemental cooler would last you a long time if cared for. You could go with an upgreaded valve body for about $400 to help with low pressure issues
Old 06-04-2005, 08:49 PM

Thats the week point on these trucks and depending the biggest in vestment to making a good truck, a lot of varyables on which to do dependant on what or how your going to run it , from every thing I've seen you should start at 1800 and stop at about 3500 $$$ , at the top end maybe go for an allison converssion and that can put you at the top. For this kind of money I'ld go to one the the places that mod trans. for these trucks becouse with that kind of expence you do'nt want to pay for them to learn, the big 3[ do a search here, I do'nt want to butcher any good trany guys with my bad memory and spelling] I beleave they all run the trans on a dyno before install or ship, this is one of my next things to do. all of the 3 have a good rep. so my main desission is mostly based on who's the closest.