24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

trans hunting for gear

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 07:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
trans hunting for gear

Hey guys. I have a buddy with a 2000 CTD auto trans. He's saying that cruising at light throttle about 40 to 45 mph the trans will just shift up and down between 3rd and 4th. The governer press solenoid and switch are new. What's the right way to adjust the throttle valve cable? I always adjusted them by taking the cable off of the linkage up at the engine and making sure the cable end was even with the tab that it fit over, maybe just alittle back further to get it to downshift quicker. Does that sound right? Whats getting me is he says that it also does it on the 2-3 shift.
I've read about running a separate ground to the tps. Would that help in this application? I don't' recall exactly what that trick fixed.
He wants to take it on a 500 mile trip next week and is concerned. It doesn't slip at all and if you're in the throttle or at higher speeds, it seems fine.
Any ideas or tips are greatly appreciated.

Steve.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:27 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Clean up all 4 battery terminals, and the extra ground for the PCM wouldn't hurt.

If it still does it, there is a wire you can wrap with tinfoil, but I'm not sure which one.

phox
Old 07-26-2007, 08:35 PM

The wire to wrap is the on from the alt. going over to the pass battery.
Old 07-27-2007, 02:48 PM

Thanks for the tips.
I read a few pages of posts last night after I posted this and found one for a APPS reset. Does that sound like what my friend is experiencing?
Thanks again.
Steve.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:14 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DaNuGuy
Thanks for the tips.
I read a few pages of posts last night after I posted this and found one for a APPS reset. Does that sound like what my friend is experiencing?
Thanks again.
Steve.
Probably not, that's the usual first attempt fix for the dead pedal, not the torque converter lock/unlock problem that you described.

phox
Old 07-27-2007, 08:09 PM

I guess I'm just not sure if it's the torque conv going in and out of lock up or if it's actaully the trans going back and forth from 3rd to 4th. I guess it won't hurt to reset the apps any way. My 1999 gasser does the torq conv lock up thing and it seems different than that.
Thanks again.
Old 07-27-2007, 08:59 PM

It's probably the TC locking and unlocking. This is caused by electrical noise spikes. Bad batteries can cause this and cleaning all the grd connections is a must. You can also order a noise filter from DTT for about $40. Lots of posts on this problem.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:34 PM

It sounds like it's time to start with the basics and see what happens.
Thanks.
Old 07-28-2007, 06:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
just bought a 98 24v over here, and got the same problem!

(Its locking the TC and unlocking at cruising speed, and once you hit WOT, it never locks up, unless you activate it with a manual lock up switch (mystery switch)

how to reset the APPS?
Old 07-28-2007, 08:09 PM

hunting

On my 98.5 I went thru all of this, I did the apps reset several times. Ran extra grounds cleaned all connections, did the foil over the alt wire trick and nothing fixed it until I had my alternator rebuilt. That fixed it for me.

TallTom
Old 07-29-2007, 04:43 PM
Banned

Unbelievable, mine just started doing this today at 30 and 40 mph under slight load going uphill. We'll try the apps reset and tin foil. Anything else I should look at?
Old 07-29-2007, 05:11 PM

I'd say it the convertor locking and unlocking. He's what I did if you have the some problem. About two years ago I had it happen. I replace the brushes in the altenator. Started to happen again this year. Took the back cover off the altenator and blew it out whe compress air wile it was running. Fixed it both time's.

Dan
Old 07-29-2007, 05:17 PM

blown fuse during oil change

Hi
Mine strated doing this after my channel locks got against the alternator connections blowing the big fuse on the fender well. Its a dealer part only in my area. Soon after I replaced the fuse mine started hunting for gears. I had my alternator rebuilt and they replaced the piece with the diaodes along with the brushes and it fixed mine. Beware its easy to short out the alternator when changing the oil filter. It has happened to several people.

TallTom
Old 07-29-2007, 06:28 PM
Banned

Thanks folks. I have a few things to look at. I was concerned that it might be a tranny problem because the last few months, I've noticed that putting it in gear after a cold start didn't seem to do much for a few seconds - almost like it needed to build up pressure. Probably a different issue.
Old 07-29-2007, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by TallTom
Hi
Mine strated doing this after my channel locks got against the alternator connections blowing the big fuse on the fender well. Its a dealer part only in my area. Soon after I replaced the fuse mine started hunting for gears. I had my alternator rebuilt and they replaced the piece with the diaodes along with the brushes and it fixed mine. Beware its easy to short out the alternator when changing the oil filter. It has happened to several people.

TallTom
i did the same think about a month or so ago....i got lucky and didnt blow the fuze...just arched a little.....about a week after that i got the surge....i wraped the BLACK W/ TAN stripe wire comming from the ALT. to the NEG TERMINAL on the PASSENGER battery....problem gone has not surged once and i have towed 7k boat and trailer over hill and along coast line HWY, flat land and everyting in between...

NCA

Quick Reply: trans hunting for gear