24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Tranny went bye bye today

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 07:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tranny went bye bye today

Well my transmission went out today anybody know of a good one to replace it with kinda wanting a performace one to handle quite a bit of power but the biggest problem is I'm strapped for money
Old 01-21-2011, 04:51 AM

Being strapped for cash and talking about a automatic tranny fix is not going to be a happy conversation.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:28 AM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
If you feel adventurous and have a little bit of time, could do it yourself. I did it 2 years ago, not all that bad to do with a service manual. Just need to keep a good clean (decent size) area to tear it all down. Good rebuild kit with red eagle clutches will run a few hundred, another few hundred for a good torque converter, then I would recommend at least a rebuilt valve body. Could just replace the worn parts, but if the trans went out there is a good chance of worn switch valves, a rebuilt one is guaranteed to work. Special tool is needed to compress the OD direct spring with a press, as well as a dummy shaft to keep everything lined up. Good luck.

Could also try a rebuilt unit on ebay etc. They run pretty cheap, then you could install a shift kit and your own good converter, and have something decent anyway.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Agree ^^^^. I have $3400 in mine and that was before install & shipping so I guess it gets down to what you call cheap...
Old 01-21-2011, 07:46 AM

I feel your pain I just had mine rebuilt, major overhaul lost second gear. Cost me $4700.00 with shift kit valve body and billet torque converter. Good news is what I thought was the torque converter shutter and did all the apps grounds, capacitor, resets is now repaired. Failure was due to low pressure and once up and running is when they found the valve body caused the low pressure. Happy now but x-mas is not the time for big bills.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:31 AM

Diesel camp that's what happened with mine I lost second took pan off had a chunk of metal in it pulled valve body off and that was interesting being as I'm used to Chevrolet trannys lol, looked up at the intermediate band .... What band it was just about wore through and the drum that it goes around looked as bad as a rotor that had metal on metal for a while. So I think new tranny might be the route I would rebuild it but I dunno if I'll need to replace that drum.... Thanks for the replies what would you reccomend
Old 01-24-2011, 02:36 PM

I just did mine about 3 months ago. I cracked my forward drum and striiped all my bands clean. Then i found out i needed a shift kit cause other guy put a gas one in... all in all it set me back 4 g's. Just take it to a builder who knows what he is doing.