24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

A tranny prob you have never heard of before! Guarenteed!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2004, 09:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation A tranny prob you have never heard of before! Guarenteed!

Ok I have searched this forum and site backward and forward and have not found anything that resembles the difficulty I am having with the automatic tranny in my 2001 4X4 extended cab, short bed, 3.55:1 equipped truck.

The problem started this past summer July 2003. I drove from Denver to my home in Abq New Mexico at about 78MPH straight through with no problems. The next day, Monday morning, I put the truck in drive and no power. The stall on the converter would still flash to where it had before but the truck didn't have the power that it used to. When I came to my first stop it felt as if I had been gently hit in the rear by someone. The truck felt as if it lurched forward a bit and it would happen everytime I came to a stop. Right before the truck came to a complete halt it felt as if some one had hit me from behind. All the while I was still experiencing poor acceleration from a dead stop. The problem persited for about 3 days and then quit only to show up every 3 or 4 weeks for a couple days and then disappear again.

The last few times this has occured I started shifting the truck manually. When I would come to a complete stop I would put the truck in 1st and I would not experience the lack of power or the rearended feeling. But everytime I would start off in drive the symptoms would be the exact same. And the truly maddening thing was, it would leave as unexpectedly as it came. Since all this began I changed the filter and fluid on the trans. No burnt smell and no metal or other material in the pan.

I don't tow with the truck (sometimes I wonder why I even have it) and havent hauled anything in forever. I tried to reset the throttle position sensor, but that didn't work either. Does anyone have any ideas? By the way, when this is not happening the truck shifts great. Sorry for the length of the post I just wanted to be as specific as possible. "Help me Obi Wan. You're my only hope!"
Old 01-17-2004, 09:51 PM

Sounds like you got something wrong with the valve body. You may want to consider going with one of the aftermarket VB's.
Old 01-18-2004, 02:43 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
Hmm, feeling like being hit from behind, looow power out of the hole, etc...
Sounds like there are two possible roads of investigation: Electronic: Vehicle speed sensor, governor pressure sensor, fluid temp sensor. (Including the contacts and cables)

Other possibility would be that your throttle valve cable needs to be adjusted.

Just my 2c

AlpineRAM
Old 01-18-2004, 05:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The surge when trying to stop sounds like a lock-up selenoid prob.

Rick
Old 01-18-2004, 07:37 AM

Not real familiar with these trans, but was thinking could it be possible the govenor is sticking or hanging up
You may be starting out in 2nd gear instaed of first.
When you manually shift I believe you bypass the gov.
Old 01-18-2004, 07:57 AM

Hemidad,
That is exactly what is happening. The truck starts out in 2nd. It's as if it won't downshift to first upon slowing down. Now when I shift manually everything acts as it should. Does this help narrow things down? Scott
Old 01-18-2004, 08:31 AM

If the throttle valve cable is too loose it may do the same- governor pressure higher than throttle valve pressure at standstill.
You should also check for codes. The governor pressure sensor is known to go bad, therefore causing intermittant shift problems.

AlpineRAM
Old 01-18-2004, 08:39 AM

I've never checked for codes before how does one go about doing that?
Old 01-18-2004, 01:24 PM

Either @ deaper or pep-boys etc who do have code scanners (some will do it for free)

I don't know whether this works on an 01: Cycle the ignition key frm off to run 3 times ending with run- then the odometer will write out the codes.

HTH

AlpineRAM
Old 01-18-2004, 01:53 PM

Saweet! Thanks Alpine!
Old 01-18-2004, 02:15 PM

yup...it will work on an 01
Old 01-18-2004, 02:38 PM

I read the codes off of the odometer and I get a p-pcu, p done p-ecu, p-done. Any idea what those mean?
Old 01-18-2004, 02:48 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Means you have no codes that are readable by the key on-off-on-off-on method.

The codes would show up between the p-ecu/pcu and p-done.
P-pcu, means it's checking the PCM (Primary Control Module),
p-ecu means it's checking the ECM (Engine Control Module)

Might try having Autozone or any auto parts place that scans codes scan them for you.
There might be some transmission codes that will show up.

To me it sounds like your lockup solenoid is malfunctioning,
and unlocking the converter to late when slowing down.
At least, probably other problems that led to or were brought on by that problem.

phox
Old 01-18-2004, 03:22 PM
Banned

I think you have 2 problems in 1- a torqconverter not unlocking and a ballooning torqconverter ......well I guess its one problem..just 2 symtons
Old 01-18-2004, 07:00 PM

same thing happend to me ... truck was in limp mode ... i would turn the motor off then back on and everything was fine for a while ... adjusted the voltage reg for my dtt to 4.4 and it never threw a code again and was fine ... hope this helps

Quick Reply: A tranny prob you have never heard of before! Guarenteed!