24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Tranny issue?? Advise please

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 09:46 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Tranny issue?? Advise please

Hey all, heres the issue:

Over the last month the Ol' CTD has developed some issues. As some of you know, I just drove it cross country recently with a decent size load. Anyhow, I have developed a constant grinding while shifting into 6th gear. It has progressivly gotten worse over the last month. Its to the point where 9 out of 10 shifts going into 6th grind pretty bad. Additionally over the last two weeks, the truck has developed what can best be described as a shudering/hessitation issue when accelerating in 5th and almost always 6th gear. This only happens on level ground and when going up inclines @ over 50 mph. When traveling down a decline on the highway, no issues what so ever. This is happening both with and without my trailer in tow.

I am assuming the tranny may be on the fritz, what do you guys think. The truck just had its 100,000 mile birthday a couple weeks ago. Tranny, is stock and original. Other than this last trip, the truck has not been used for towing often, and when it has, the loads were fairly light.

Thanks

Tom
Old 11-06-2006, 02:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like a combo of things. One, clutch may not be putting up with your mods. Two, you may find some gear teeth damage in your trans. Either way, it's going to need torn down and inspected.
Old 11-06-2006, 04:18 PM
Banned

I doubt its an issue of the clutch holding up to the mods, but you may be right on the second.

Anyone else, I know I cant be the only guy on the DTR driving a second gen w/ a standard tranny

Tom
Old 11-06-2006, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by CASMOKIN

Over the last month the Ol' CTD has developed some issues. As some of you know, I just drove it cross country recently with a decent size load. Anyhow, I have developed a constant grinding while shifting into 6th gear. It has progressivly gotten worse over the last month. Its to the point where 9 out of 10 shifts going into 6th grind pretty bad. Additionally over the last two weeks, the truck has developed what can best be described as a shudering/hessitation issue when accelerating in 5th and almost always 6th gear. This only happens on level ground and when going up inclines @ over 50 mph. When traveling down a decline on the highway, no issues what so ever. This is happening both with and without my trailer in tow.

I am assuming the tranny may be on the fritz, what do you guys think. The truck just had its 100,000 mile birthday a couple weeks ago. Tranny, is stock and original. Other than this last trip, the truck has not been used for towing often, and when it has, the loads were fairly light.

Thanks

Tom

You're got syncro and bearing problems time to rebuild! oopps sorry the 6 speed is hard to get parts for.
Old 11-06-2006, 05:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RickCJ
You're got syncro and bearing problems time to rebuild! oopps sorry the 6 speed is hard to get parts for.
NICE!!!

If thats the case, how long do you think I have on it before it totally goes. I realize thats almost an impossible question for anyone to answer.

Secondly, if I keep driving it the way it is, do you think it would affect other gears, cause more problems and end up costing more to rebuild in the future.

Lastly, I hear of guys building up there AT trannys all the time, but I've yet to hear of anyone doing anything special to a standard. Anybody, here have a beefed up standard tranny?? Does anybody know of any good shops in SW PA?

Thanks

Tom
Old 11-06-2006, 05:27 PM

NICE!!!

If thats the case, how long do you think I have on it before it totally goes. I realize thats almost an impossible question for anyone to answer.

Secondly, if I keep driving it the way it is, do you think it would affect other gears, cause more problems and end up costing more to rebuild in the future.

Lastly, I hear of guys building up there AT trannys all the time, but I've yet to hear of anyone doing anything special to a standard. Anybody, here have a beefed up standard tranny?? Does anybody know of any good shops in SW PA?

Thanks

Tom
Who knows??????
It could!!!!!!
Stronger clutches is all I know of. Don't know about SE PA. I'm near Altoona.
Old 11-06-2006, 06:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RickCJ
Who knows??????
It could!!!!!!
Stronger clutches is all I know of. Don't know about SE PA. I'm near Altoona.
RickCJ, Im in Washington, PA

And I've got a beefed up clutch, see sig. I really dont think its the clutch
Old 11-07-2006, 08:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Additionally over the last two weeks, the truck has developed what can best be described as a shudering/hessitation issue when accelerating in 5th and almost always 6th gear. This only happens on level ground and when going up inclines @ over 50 mph. When traveling down a decline on the highway, no issues what so ever.
This sounds like possibly driving through the clutch. The rest sounds, as I stated before, like a teardown is in order. I see loss of $$$ in your future.