24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Tranny going out again?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2002, 10:26 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tranny going out again?

I've had the comp out for the past week. The truck is running extremely strong for some reason. Oh well. Well, I was playing around last night and I punched it off the line. It ran up to 3500, stayed there for about 1-2 seconds, then shifted. The last time it did that, my tranny died 3-4 days later. Is it doing it again? I hope not. I haven't had the comp in for the past week and even when I did have it in, I didn't hardly use it. And ran it on 3 only once or twice. Could it be the tranny was just a hair to hot or something? I had been pretty hard on the thing all day.
Old 12-17-2002, 08:57 AM

Re:Tranny going out again?

Big Blue,<br> Best of luck with your tranny. Have you looked into the DTT or another aftermarket setup??? I could not tell by your sig. (or maybe I missed it). <br> Was wondering if you had a pic of your rig. I'd like to see what the 305 tires looked like under your rig. Thinking about going that size or 295's or 285's. <br> Big dawg
Old 12-17-2002, 10:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

First off pull the stick and check the color of the fluid <br><br>Then you should drop the pan and check for shavings <br><br>Sounds like you bit the big one
Old 12-17-2002, 11:39 AM

If your converter is slipping and your back to stock,<br>I would definitely be worried.<br>Change your fluid at the least.<br><br>--Justin
Old 12-17-2002, 12:04 PM

[quote author=PourinDiesel link=board=4;threadid=8386;start=0#81384 date=1040146791]<br>If your converter is slipping and your back to stock,<br>I would definitely be worried.<br>Change your fluid at the least.<br><br>--Justin<br>[/quote]<br><br>how could the converter slip? wouldn't it just be the clutches and/or the lock up clutch?
Old 12-17-2002, 12:20 PM

The whole converter no.<br>The Lock up clutch yes.<br>I guess I need to be more specific.<br><br>--Justin
Old 12-17-2002, 03:51 PM
Banned

I don't have the truck right now. It's in the shop getting the door fixed (don't ask. Another battle with the dealer). It hasn't done that again. But the first time it did it, it did it once, then worked fine till that fateful day when it suddenly died. It will lock up at 35mph and I can pretty much floor it and it doesn't shutter or anything. I should have the truck back Fri. so I'll check it then. I think my dipstick is messed up though. I push it in and it pushes back out about a 1/2&quot;. So my tranny may be overfilled. Last time I checked it, it was nice and red and smelled fine to me. That was a while ago. I'm getting ready to go on a 600+ mile round trip to Oklahoma on the 22nd so I need to get this thing fixed. I'm going to take the comp with me kinda do a gas mileage stock, and with comp plugged in and either turned off or turned on 1x3. Don't know yet. Tailgate will be down whole time. If I end up having to drop the pan, I think I'm going to go ahead and turn up the line pressure one, maybe two turns and get a little extra holding power. I'll let yall know what happens before I leave.

BigDawg, I had an ATS TC sitting in my bckseat but my dad made me send it back cause it would void the warranty. Kinda glad I did though. A month later, all of the pressure senders, governors, and solenoids crapped out. When the dealer checked the tranny out, I had them check the TC and they said it was fine. No slipping or anything. No shavings in the fluid and the fluid wasn't burned. The clutches and bands were all bright and shiny. When the tranny went out, I had complained about the truck shuddering and thought it was the tranny, turned out it was my fuel pump pushing 0psi at WOT. The truck doesn't shudder at all right now. Go look in the member photos on the bottom of the second page. The album is called &quot;Tyler's Truck&quot; or something like that. You can see a couple of shots of the tires. The 305's fit beautifully. I had slight rub at full lock on a left hand turn only. The 305's are a hair shorter, but a hair wider than a 285. A 285 is a hair taller, but a hair narrower also. I prefer a little wider.

Pourin, I've heard that if your TC is slipping, and you change the fluid, you will actually do more harm than good cause the brass shavings in the fluid is what is keeping the lockup clutches holding. If you remove those shavings, then there is nothing for the clutches to grab on to so it slips even more.
Old 12-18-2002, 08:10 AM

BigBlue,<br> Found the pic's. Good looking rig, I have the same color. Like the tires. Going to upgrade sometime in Mar/April timeline. Good luck with the tranny...<br>Big dawg
Old 12-18-2002, 10:41 AM

Big Blue, <br>What I am getting at is that if your Lock-clutch in your torque converter is actually slipping on occasion then you are introducing debris into your transmissions lubricant which will accelerate wear over a period of time and cause a failure.<br><br>If you are running a Comp and a stock tranny your next failure is around the corner, and this time the dealer is going to dig deeper and wonder what is wrong.<br><br>So have you ever ran the Comp on 5x5 with the stock tranny?<br><br>You should have kept that ATS converter! ;D <br><br>--Justin<br><br>
Old 12-18-2002, 11:17 AM
Banned

Dad wanted to see the money back in the account or believe me, I would have. I've run it on 4x3 once or twice. But usually no more than 3x3. And I only run that when it is locked up. Never off the line. The truck never shutters so I don't know. They said they have heard of the sensors going bad before. What was funny, was when the tranny was cold, they worked good. Once the tranny heated up though, something would mess up the sensors. My old tranny, what was happening was that the tranny wasn't completely downshifting to first gear. It would start off in second gear. Talk about odd. Once the rpms got up to about 1800, the truck would start to accelerate. You could really tell when that converter would finally stall up. But the truck isn't having that problem. Oh well. I'm praying that it was just a one time thing. I know if the tranny dies again the dealer will dig deeper. But hey, if it's going to die, I hope it does it in the next 8000 or so miles. Cause I've got 26-27,000 on the truck and I'm pretty sure that if it goes out in the extended warranty, they won't replace it. If it does go out however, I'm taking it to a different dealer. I'm tired of dealing with mine.
Old 12-18-2002, 01:54 PM

[quote author=BigBlue link=board=4;threadid=8386;start=0#81876 date=1040231827]<br>. My old tranny, what was happening was that the tranny wasn't completely downshifting to first gear. It would start off in second gear. Talk about odd.[/quote]<br><br>woah, i didn't know that. 2nd gear starts means that it's in limp mode and you DO NOT want to run it long in limp mode. wasn't it the governor that went the first time?
Old 12-18-2002, 06:59 PM

[quote author=98rammer link=board=4;threadid=8386;start=0#81956 date=1040241289]
woah, i didn't know that. 2nd gear starts means that it's in limp mode and you DO NOT want to run it long in limp mode. wasn't it the governor that went the first time?
[/quote]

2nd gear is NOT limp mode. It will stay in 3rd gear if it goes into limp mode.
Old 12-19-2002, 03:26 PM

Big Blue, I just thought I would throw this out there. You said you run with your tailgate down, right? Take a look here and see if this starts some discussion! <br><br>Tailgate???
Old 12-19-2002, 04:09 PM

oops, try this tailgate???
Old 12-19-2002, 07:58 PM

that's why i said before that it's better to run with the tailgate up as i heard this info before...

Quick Reply: Tranny going out again?