24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Tractor hydrulic fluid for power steering

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 10:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tractor hydraulic fluid for power steering

I flushed my power steering today,with powersteering fliud. But, I was curious would tractor hydraulic fluid be better, same or worse then powersteering fluid? I would think it might be better becuase its for higher pressure systems, only thoughts was maybe the seals might not like it. I couldn't find any ratings or weights for power steering fluid. But some hydraulic fluids are iso46 and such.

Jed
Old 03-04-2007, 01:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm sure that I will get shot down for this, but except for the systems that specify transmission fluid for a fluid, hydraulic fluid is the same as power steering fluid. Been running it for years in steering systems. Some pumps specify a particular fluid and I generally use that in those systems.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:34 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Hey I'll shoot you down!

There are some big differneces in hydraulic fluids themselves and they are different than power sterring fluid. I tried John Deere's tractor hydaulic fluid once in mine and it made the sterring VERY slow, was too heavy for that aplication.

My advice is too just flush it and use a good quality PS fluid.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:42 AM

I just use auto tranny fluid in mine.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:45 AM

synthetic tranny fluid...
Old 03-04-2007, 11:54 AM

I did some research last night, turns out ISO-32 is most likely the same as powersteering fluid. That was comparing pour point, visocity at40*C, 100*C and overall visocity rating.

Originally Posted by cLAYH
Hey I'll shoot you down!

There are some big differneces in hydraulic fluids themselves and they are different than power sterring fluid. I tried John Deere's tractor hydaulic fluid once in mine and it made the sterring VERY slow, was too heavy for that aplication.

My advice is too just flush it and use a good quality PS fluid.
If I could find anything with a name I've heard of, I just used some generic brand. But figured hydraulic fluid was the same just didn't know what weight to buy.
Old 03-04-2007, 12:12 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I've been using waste 15-40 for 60,000 miles
Old 03-04-2007, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by linetrash75
I did some research last night, turns out ISO-32 is most likely the same as powersteering fluid. That was comparing pour point, visocity at40*C, 100*C and overall visocity rating.

If I could find anything with a name I've heard of, I just used some generic brand. But figured hydraulic fluid was the same just didn't know what weight to buy.
The weight would be 10. I was referring to a good quality of 10 weight hydraulic fluid. Originally this was what transmission fluid was. The additives started growing creating the different types and of course whale oil was added then the synthetic stuff. Biggest difference in trans fluid and hydraulic is the detergents and slipping agents for a smooth shift.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:41 PM

In the owners manual it specifically says DO NOT USE ATF in the power steering pump period. Linetrash75 and I have the same year truck.
Old 03-04-2007, 10:20 PM

Valvoline Synthetic blend PS fluid. Works great in the winter cold. Just use a turkey baster and remove as much as you can a couple times.
Old 03-05-2007, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by bentwings
Valvoline Synthetic blend PS fluid. Works great in the winter cold. Just use a turkey baster and remove as much as you can a couple times.
Used this P/S fluid and the turkey baster trick. P/S is quite and smooth. Pull about a pint out with the baster. I flushed the baster and used it to full the reservor. Less mess.

Wonder if the turkey will tast funny.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:47 AM

That's what I did too. Worked great. Then I backed out of the garage and heard a soft 'pop'. What was that I says?? Heart is still beating and the truck is still running so the important things are stilll working. I rolled the truck back and forth a couple times to see if the sound would repeat. No luck. So I try turning side to side. The steering is really smooth and easy like on ice. Ding, ding, duh....dang I left the plastic bottle with the waste oil on the floor along with turkey baster. So I open the door and looked down...yep there they are, flatter than a piece of lefsa. Amazing much surface a quart of oil will cover when the bottle it was in is run over by a CTD.

How do you get oil up off the concrete in the winter??
Old 03-05-2007, 06:45 PM

Do not use hydraulic fluid. Don't work good when cold. Tried it.

Dan
Old 03-06-2007, 01:10 PM

If you gotta use it, it'll work. Used it in quite a few farm trucks, no problem but they are run about once a month.

Quick Reply: Tractor hydrulic fluid for power steering