24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

TQ unlocking/locking almost fixed

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 08:56 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
TQ unlocking/locking almost fixed

I know you guys are getting tired of this same post im sure, but im still having a few probs... I have cleaned all grounds several times and it keeps comming back after a week. I got a noise filter from BD Diesel and installed it. The problem went completely away for 2 weeks almost, but it came back on saturday. What i noticed is, it is only doing it about 10% or so, so its almost gone, but was doing it as i was towing my race car up a hill, and the tranny was in low and it started slamming in and out....Then it was good for a few days, then it will do it once or twice the next day....Any more ideas i could try? ( how do yo do the pedal APPS reset?)
Old 09-07-2009, 10:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is no one cure fixes all for this condition. Suggest reading the torque converter unlock post on Cummins forum for same engine.
Many times the alternator is cause of issue. Clean alternator terminals, inspect brushes for wear and oil on slip rings. Install a condenser on output termina. and shield wires with aluminum foil or wrap the alternator wires with a fine wire and ground this wire. Do not allow touching power on any of three alternator wires.
There are other possibilities as you may have read.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine was a little troublesome.
As I kept searching, I found the passenger battery ground at the BLOCK was very loose!!! I turned it a full turn. It solved it.
Old 04-04-2010, 10:01 PM

i fixed mine. i did the all the usual, new alternator(s), clean grounds and pins, installed new grounds, new ignition switch, disconnect alternator all together, grounded the ground wire to TPS sensor; no luck, it keeps coming back. it got so bad i couldn't drive it.

what i did was pull out the electrical connector from the transmission computer, the one closest to the engine. the transmission computer is on the firewall behind the air filter. l located the two ground wires (two pins next to each other), the 12V battery (always on), and the 12v from ignition (i didn't do anything to this wire, just found it). i cut the 12v battery wire and installed a homemade low pass filter and grounded it to the two ground wires (bonded both ground wires together), and then ran 12 gage wire from my new ground junction to the firewall ground point and another wire from that point to the battery ground. i didn't cut the ground wires, just pulled back the insulation and soldered the 12 gage wire to it.

my homemade pie filter was two 25v capacitors (450mf) and a inductor (heavy gage wire wraped around a 1 inch iron core), the inductor spliced inline to the 12v battery wire with a capacitor on each side. i salvaged the capacitors from a blownup APC UPS and the inductor coil from a crapped out PC Power and Cooling power supply.

anyone know where these two ground wires terminate, i suspect this is the location which needs to be cleaned!

now to fix my steering freeplay... time to call geno's garage.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:13 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I installed 2 brand new batteries.....Havent seen the problem in 6 months. When we tested the batteries one was full and the other was weak ....The tech lady at a place that was going to sell me a noise filter, said if you have a weak battery, change that first cause it will send noise to the TC or something. So, i bought a noise filter from someone else , it helped but didnt solve it completely....( i guess it covered it up) So, check your batteries and make sure they are up to "FULL" power....That was my problem...
Old 04-14-2010, 08:32 PM

I did all the ground cleaning battery changing tps wire addition etc but ended up changing the apps sensor from Tim and no problem afterwards.Coincidence, I think not.