24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Total newb here , advise plz .

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 07:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Total newb here , advise plz .

Hi , I currently own an F-350 7.3-IDI . Total POS , I keep sinking money into it and I've had enough . From what I hear the I-6 cummins is where it's at , so thats where i'm lookin .

I know nothing about these trucks . So please excuse my ignorance .

I been lookin on Ebay and classifieds and local dealers . I've found some good deals (I think ) on ebay , and a few OK ones localy . I live in upstate NY , tons of salt on the roads in winter , so Ebay is lookin good as I think every texan drives a truck .

I'm hoping to land a 2001-2002 , 4x4 ext cab long bed . I pull a boat during summer , and would like to plow during winter , I prefer automatics . What is a good price for a truck like this with 100-150K?

Any advise as what to look for would be great . I see alot of 5th wheels out there , is a used 5th wheel a big deal ? I actually have my eye on a truck with one , but I'm afriad it might be worked hard or somthin .

Whats the differance between the 12v and the 24v , and how much different is the 3rd 'generation'?

Thx in advance .
Old 11-17-2005, 08:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To get the most acurate price on a specific truck, your best bet is to look it up @ nada.com or kbb.com.

As far as "worked hard" it takes alot to overwork these engines, but that is the risk you take when you buy anything used. Probably the best way to tell is a good visual and a test drive.

The 12v engines were half of the 98 model year and anything prior they are the "good 'ol" mechanical engines (no computers). The 24v engines are half of the 98 model year and anything later and they are electronically controlled and have twice as many valves. The 3rd gen's. started in 2003, they are still a 24v and have a high pressure common rail injection system and are quite a bit quieter.

This is just skimming the top, but might help a little.
Old 11-18-2005, 06:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you deside on a 2nd gen Truck there is a few thing you should do to it first...

Guages - At least a fuel pressure guage but the whole set is better. (Pyro, Boost, fuel pressure, and a trans temp (if auto))

Relocate the crankcase breather - There several ways to do it waith costing a lot of money... Ask me or jr_dodge_diesel

These are the only two stock problems that I've run into... There is more but these are the two most common problems that I've seen... (I know someone will jump in and expand on this)

Then...You will be on the road of BOMBing (Better of modified baby!)
Old 11-18-2005, 07:28 AM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As with any used truck, if possible, you should talk to the previous owner and find out what repairs/problems it has had. If the truck is local, you can have the dealer check to see what repairs and warranty work has been done.

One gripe with a lot of the 2nd gen (96 thru 02) is steering. A lot of them require after market track bars, etc to correct the problem. Two other problems that show up on the 24 valve are the lift pump (fuel pump) and the injector pump. A lot of people go with an after market electric pump that eliminates the factory fuel pump. The injector pumps are unpredictable. Some folks go through 3 or 4 in less then 100k miles, and others last way over 100k miles.
As said before, a good set of gages are almost a necessity to monitor the Cummins to head off problems before they crater something.
Other than normal wear items and good maintenance, my '99 has about 170k miles on it and and I have spent less then $800 on parts and repairs.