24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Today's Thread Is..."Name That Noise!"

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 09:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Today's Thread Is..."Name That Noise!"

ok i know how hard these threads are to help someone because it's so dang hard to explain a sound, especially on the computer...

but i wanna see if we can't figure this out, the noise seems to be coming from the engine compartment somewhere. it's this whirling, whining, weird kinda noise. and the thing that might give it away is this, it only happens at 1900 RPM, that's it, no more, no less, as soon as i hit that mark it starts, when i go over that mark it stops. when i go under that mark, it stops.

and for some comical relief, and to help you understand the sound do as follows: pucker your lips out like you were going to give your guy/girl friend an open mouth kiss, then, humm, kinda deep, WHOA! not that deep, little higher, there ya go, it sounds like that!
Old 01-10-2007, 12:22 AM
DTR's Cow Boss

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Inter cooler boot or clamp loose? intake tube on the air box gotta whole in it or worse yet possible developing whole in the inter cooler hit any birds lately LOL
Old 01-10-2007, 05:07 PM

nope, no birds, but you think that is for sure what it is? won't be hard to look but just wanna make sure. also, i've got a boost guage, and my numbers seem to be ok.
Old 01-10-2007, 06:12 PM

Does it do it when you are driving too, or just when parked and reving? Does it do it in park and neutral, or just one or the other? Have you done anything on the truck recently? Oil change, rotate tires etc...
Old 01-10-2007, 08:48 PM
Registered

i tried to hit the note your talking about. and i just couldnt do it. the open mouthed part kinda threw me for a loop
Old 01-10-2007, 09:10 PM

OK, duplication is not a problem right? Let's move to isolation. If you come out of OD and back off the throttle, will it do it in different gears? If this is engine related, I'm leaning towards something that is finding a perfect speed in which to vibrate in, i.e. fan clutch, belt, or maybe even the alternator shaft or any other spinning mechanism. If it is speed related, I would start looking at u joints or a carrier bearing if you have one. Maybe you can get a sound clip somehow.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by blackdiesel
i tried to hit the note your talking about. and i just couldnt do it. the open mouthed part kinda threw me for a loop
i was waiting for someone to give me some feedback!
Originally Posted by oestreich84
Does it do it when you are driving too, or just when parked and reving? Does it do it in park and neutral, or just one or the other? Have you done anything on the truck recently? Oil change, rotate tires etc...
ok, sorry, as far as i know it is ONLY when driving. i haven't even tried it reving yet, i will tomorrow though. and, it's been doing this for awhile and i just never got around to asking anyone about it, but i did notice it after i put my exhaust on...until then, i had never noticed it...
Old 01-10-2007, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by PChouinard
OK, duplication is not a problem right? Let's move to isolation. If you come out of OD and back off the throttle, will it do it in different gears? If this is engine related, I'm leaning towards something that is finding a perfect speed in which to vibrate in, i.e. fan clutch, belt, or maybe even the alternator shaft or any other spinning mechanism. If it is speed related, I would start looking at u joints or a carrier bearing if you have one. Maybe you can get a sound clip somehow.
yes, it does it every gear, not speed related at all. and that's what i kinda figured, something whining or vibrating just at that engine speed. and the only sound clip that i could/would get is me doing the noise with my mouth and that's not gonna happen, plus, it's not that loud in the cab to record.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:36 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That noise sounds familiar.

Does it sound like pinion gear whine?
That's what mine sounds like, but it seems to be coming from more up front.
Not really loud, distant sounding, almost like an echo.

No idea what mine is either, and it's only around 1900 RPM, only while driving, not revving.

phox
Old 01-10-2007, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by phox_mulder
That noise sounds familiar.

Does it sound like pinion gear whine?
That's what mine sounds like, but it seems to be coming from more up front.
Not really loud, distant sounding, almost like an echo.

No idea what mine is either, and it's only around 1900 RPM, only while driving, not revving.

phox
oh man, you nailed it, good description by the way. and i don't know what pinion gear whine sounds like. if it's what i'm hearing, then yes.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:44 PM

If this is ONLY happening while driving, in all gears but only at 1900 RPM, I'm going to have to point at the tranny. This is the only component that fits the description. I know very little about trannys so I'll read from here.. Good luck
Old 01-11-2007, 07:30 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Ridiculous
after i put my exhaust on...until then, i had never noticed it...
if it's an exhaust leak, the ULSD will leave black soot where it is leaking out of the new pipes. pretty easy to spot.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by 04ctd
if it's an exhaust leak, the ULSD will leave black soot where it is leaking out of the new pipes. pretty easy to spot.
nope, i fixed all of my leaks soon after i put it on, no more leaks now.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:31 PM

Loose nut behind the wheel, so it sounds.

Sounds tranny related??? Torque convertor???
Old 01-12-2007, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Buckshotmckee
Loose nut behind the wheel, so it sounds.

Sounds tranny related??? Torque convertor???
hey man, are you talking about the driver!?!?!

i'm wondering that too, i called dave goerand today and i think i'm gonna have him upgrade my trans. just gotta go to the bank and see about the loan.

Quick Reply: Today's Thread Is..."Name That Noise!"