24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Timing Cover Seal Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 07:37 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Timing Cover Seal Replacement

While I was looking for the KDP in my "99" I found a purdy "NEW STYLE" timing housing so all was well there. Since I had the beast apart I replaced the seal as is was seeping a little. In the kit was a clear plastic "seal starter" thing that I could not figure out. The only thing it fit was over the crank shaft end and when I put the seal on I could not get the cover on the shaft without (to me) was too much force.

I ended up just putting the timing cover on (over the CS end) very carefully.

How is this seal put in....properly?
Old 01-06-2006, 12:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
place that sleeve over the crankshaft and you do have to use some force to get the front cover with the seal on.
Old 01-29-2006, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by JohnCA58
place that sleeve over the crankshaft and you do have to use some force to get the front cover with the seal on.
I decided I was going to have to use too much force so I abandon the sleeve. I slipped the seal over the shaft very carefully and buttoned everything up.

No leaks.
Old 01-29-2006, 08:17 AM

When I replaced the front seal a few months ago I found it impossible to fit the timing cover / seal assembly over the crank without using the seal starter. The lip of the seal would get hung up on the end of the crank and begin to fold over. I was working from the side with the rad in place. Perhaps when working from the front one could insert a small screwdriver and guide the lip of the seal over the crank. So, my question is, were you working from the front with the rad removed?
Old 01-29-2006, 08:39 AM

No, radiator was in place. I could not get enough force on the cover to force it over the plastic thingy. No problems here with anything folding over. I added the dust sheild after the seal was inplace and bolted everything back in place. Are you sure you had the seal facing the correct way? The lip of the seal is suppose to face the front of the truck, away from the shaft.

As long as it don't leak I'm sure not gonna do it again.
Old 01-29-2006, 09:02 AM

Its not just a seal starter it also centers the cover on the front of the motor and makes sure the front crank seal doesnt leak. Remember theres no dowel pins to position the cover properly

Old 01-29-2006, 05:32 PM

The oil seal has a yellow lip that faces outside. The actual teflon part of the seal,which faces inwards,is brown and it was this part that would not fit over the end of the crank. If the end of the crank had a chamfer I could see the teflon part expanding and sliding on to the crank but since the end of the crank is not chamfered the teflon lip was getting hung up on the end of the crank and I was unable to fit the seal over the crank. This happened to me on Thanksgiving Day and I had to wait till the next day for Cummins to open so I could get a new seal starter. I had cracked the original seal starter and risked damaging the seal if I used the cracked seal starter. Your crank end must be chamfered for you to have been able to install the seal without the seal starter. Also the Haynes manual says it is not necessary to remove the timing cover to change the seal. I was able to remove the seal with the cover in place but it was almost impossible to install the seal on to the cover without removing the cover. The seal goes in easier if driven in from the inside of the cover.