24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

TIMBO APPS Sensor, BETTER then OEM?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2020, 09:53 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Installed the Timbo APPS. Realized I had done this a few years ago and was replacing his again.
Plenty of fuel, 10psi, all connections clean/tight, fluids correct.
After the install, calibration, etc... not so sure this was my issue/problem. The issue of "no pedal" response occurs after things are some what warmed up and then more noticeable on the highway.
Depress pedal and the truck will accelerate up to 70-75mph, pedal goes dead and no reply. Let up completely off of the pedal, depress it again and it will accelerate back to 70-75mph and then cut out again.
Sometimes when rolling faster at 80-83mph the truck will maintain speed for awhile but then the pedal response will eventually cut out. Cruise control does not make a difference, symptom still occurs.
Going to disconnect the batteries, drain the power in the system, disconnect the ECM and then do an APPS reset and try things again.
Hoping it's not the VP44
Old 09-30-2020, 09:49 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I had a similar issue and it turned out to be interference from the alternator (not sure if you commented on that thread or not). But my symptoms sounded just like yours. Never actually tested with cruise since mine can't seem to figure out how to hold a speed with the Smarty.
Old 10-01-2020, 09:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Check this site out. I've done some of the fixes and it seems to help:
https://mopar1973man.com/cummins/art...otection-r617/
Old 11-17-2020, 09:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TIMBO Installed - Solved Issues

I had the RPM Hunting issue, so I did this modification...

https://www.atsdiesel.com/additional...QyZUZXpfcN9Lcc

When I did this rewiring, I used wire with braided shielding and took the PCM end of the braid to ground (ground one end only). I did have a 47uF cap to drain RF Noise from the signal wire, but this caused a lumpy idle and erratic transition from idle to 1000 rpm. I removed that capacitor and the idle is DEAD ON stable at 800 rom (750 rpm in drive) - WITH the TIMBO TPS.

I then had the stock TPS fail and installed a cheap one from eBay - that was a mistake as it failed after 2 weeks and I had "dead pedal" intermittently.
I did my research and installed the TIMBO TPS - Followed the directions to install.

Take note that the TIMBO doesn't do the voltage setting as you would with the stock TPS - Follow the directions for setting the idle screw.

My throttle response is excellent... no hesitation, no skipping, perfect.
Idle is dead on - stable, smooth transition from idle to acceleration.
NO Hunting... See note below.

NOTE!!!!
Check your ground cables on your batteries. After doing all this work, I hadn't noticed that the negative terminals had loosened up over time since replacing them with better versions. This starting causing intermittent, *** moments of RPM hunting at the 40-50 mph range in top gear. I discovered this when I was double-checking my wiring (above) and redoing my TPS calibrations looking for the cause.
I tightened all of my battery terminals and cable connections and, just like magic, the hunting went away.

So.. The TIMBO TPS? An absolute no brainer to buy. Easy to install.
Do the wiring mod above.
Check your grounds.
The following users liked this post:
nothingbutdarts (11-17-2020)