24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Throwing codes on a new reman vp

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 08:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Throwing codes on a new reman vp

MY vp44 just went out last week and I had a new reman bosch vp put on. I decided I wanted to have some fun and crank up the adrenaline a few levels. The truck kinda started to miss like only when I was giving it gas. Then the Check Engine light came on. So I ran my code reader and these two codes came up

p0253 - P0253-FUEL INJECTION PUMP FUEL VALVE OPEN CIRCUIT

p0216 -injection pump failure

Could a brand new reman pump be bad? Fuel pressure is around 13-14psi. Any one have any ideas? This would suck if I have to buy another vp
Old 01-22-2009, 06:18 PM

I had thrown codes yesterday on p0216 and 253 but I cleared them an they havent come back. Im not sure if the codes have been cleared before the vp was changed or not.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:32 PM

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
I'm getting P0253 also all the time with adrenaline levels 2 and up.

What's the deal with it? My truck seems operates normally.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Erska
I'm getting P0253 also all the time with adrenaline levels 2 and up.

What's the deal with it? My truck seems operates normally.
Erska that sounds exactly what I get.

I just ran the truck again no codes, I dont think the 216 was erased before the new pump went in. But when I go to level 3 on the pulse the truck bucks and the check engine light comes on and I get
P0253 - injection pump metering control A low

Could the shop that installed my vp have installed it wrong? Could the timing be off? The truck runs solid on level 1 and level 2 with the adrenaline. OOO this sucks trying to figure this out.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:51 PM

PO253 -

Usually means the IAT sensor inside the VP-44 is not functioning at spec. Slight possibility that it's a problem with the ECM. Sounds more like there's a sync issue with your box.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:56 PM
RCW

I am unaware of an IAT sensor in the VP44!

My suspicion is that your rebuilt pump does not have a new housing with the linered delivery valve and may have a blown front bypass diaphragm. Either situation will result in low metering levels, and they can run just great for a few miles to a few years before they crap out.

The housing can be quite worn, or have a blown bypass diaphragm, and still pass the acceptable level of pressure test on a bench. Only the first rate pump builders replace the full housing to avoid this problem.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:13 PM

I've held the remains of an IAT/speed sensor from the VP-44 in my hand.

From dodgeram.org:

The fuel pump control module (FPCM) responds to the ECM's commands by consulting the fueling data and timing in its memory and actuating the fueling and timing solenoids. A fuel temperature sensor is located inside the VP44 pump to compensate for changes in the temperature of the fuel. The pump also contains a speed sensor (IAT) that gives the fuel pump control module (FPCM) data on the position and speed of the pump shaft. A reference pulse that marks top dead center (TDC) of cylinder No. 1 is sent from the ECM once every pump revolution. By comparing this reference pulse from the ECM to the position signal from the speed sensor (IAT), the fuel pump control module (FPCM) can reference the pump's position in relation to the engine's position. This allows the fuel pump control module (FPCM) to adjust the pump timing to compensate for minor position differences between the fuel pump shaft and the engine camshaft. If the difference between the pump position and engine position becomes too great, then a fault will be logged in the fuel pump control module (FPCM).

If the reman VP-44 was purchased from a Bosch-certified rebuilder, the possibility of worn or warped housings or blown diaphragms is small. The IAT/speed sensor, on the other hand, is an electronic component that will either fail quickly or last a fairly long time.
Old 01-23-2009, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Gear Poet
I've held the remains of an IAT/speed sensor from the VP-44 in my hand.

From dodgeram.org:

The fuel pump control module (FPCM) responds to the ECM's commands by consulting the fueling data and timing in its memory and actuating the fueling and timing solenoids. A fuel temperature sensor is located inside the VP44 pump to compensate for changes in the temperature of the fuel. The pump also contains a speed sensor (IAT) that gives the fuel pump control module (FPCM) data on the position and speed of the pump shaft. A reference pulse that marks top dead center (TDC) of cylinder No. 1 is sent from the ECM once every pump revolution. By comparing this reference pulse from the ECM to the position signal from the speed sensor (IAT), the fuel pump control module (FPCM) can reference the pump's position in relation to the engine's position. This allows the fuel pump control module (FPCM) to adjust the pump timing to compensate for minor position differences between the fuel pump shaft and the engine camshaft. If the difference between the pump position and engine position becomes too great, then a fault will be logged in the fuel pump control module (FPCM).

If the reman VP-44 was purchased from a Bosch-certified rebuilder, the possibility of worn or warped housings or blown diaphragms is small. The IAT/speed sensor, on the other hand, is an electronic component that will either fail quickly or last a fairly long time.
So its coudl be a possibility that the IAT/spped sensor is shot? I have my old vp44 that came with the truck. Could I possible switch the IAT over, or is it all internal stuff?
Old 01-24-2009, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by scow1
So its coudl be a possibility that the IAT/spped sensor is shot? I have my old vp44 that came with the truck. Could I possible switch the IAT over, or is it all internal stuff?
If your rebuilder is reputable, best thing is to replace the pump with another reman one.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Gear Poet
If your rebuilder is reputable, best thing is to replace the pump with another reman one.
Thats what I think Im going to do. Which totally sucks another vp I have to buy. When its cold out and the truck isnt plugged in it romps and seems like it starving for fuel. RPMS bouncing ideling like it has a huge cam. When its in reverse its almost dies out but after a few mins the truck will run fine.