24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Throttle Valve Cable

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2003, 01:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Throttle Valve Cable

Anybody out there have experience on setting this correctly.<br>I want my truck to shift much later. I played around this morning (trial and error). Seems to be better.
Old 07-25-2003, 07:05 PM

Re:Throttle Valve Cable

What’s going on with your transmission? Are you having shifting issues?
The throttle cable is primarily used for the raise of line pressure during acceleration, it will have a affect on shift timing a little but if you set too much pressure you will not be able to have a wide open up shift, it can also cause delayed up shifts.
Too low throttle pressure will give soft early up shifts, When the throttle pressure is lower you take the risk of slipping the clutches during acceleration.
On the 47RE late 1996 &amp; up to 2002 they use a 3-4-shift solenoid and lockup solenoid, Along with a Electronic Governor control Circuit.
The computer (TCM) controls this portion of the shifting. The (detent) or (throttle) cable controls line rise during throttle so you increase your hydraulic holding ability.

If your trying to change shift timing? That needs to be done by the use of governor control, a unit such as the Emjay transmission controller.
If your looking to put the cable back to a good setting than go to wide open throttle and check to see that you have about 1/8 of a inch of throttle cable slack left in the cable to the transmission.
You never want this cable to be pulled to its max position at a bind during full throttle. At that point you can adjust small amounts from there to get what’s needed.

I hope this helps a little I tried to make it simple and basic. Going on with more information in detail could possibly be confusing.

Don
Old 07-25-2003, 10:39 PM

Location: Friends Don&#039;t let Friends Drive Power Jokes!!!
Re:Throttle Valve Cable

If you set the cable too tight it will reset its self back when you push the pedal to WOT... <br><br>Noticed you have a Banks kit, If you dont have a shift kit yet you might want to think about getting one soon... The factory line and lock-up pressures are not the best, now that you have more power you need more pressure in the trans or you will trash the converter clutch soon not to mention the forward clutchs. With the shift kit you would then just trash the converter later...Thats another issue <br><br>Trans-Go makes a good reprograming kit, I get them from my wholesale supplier at around $40.00....Any transmission shop can get you one if you cant find it. <br><br>Now if you are having problems like Don was asking this may not be proper advise...If no problems get the shift kit, It will delay your shifts, prob put them right were you want them not to mention firm them puppies up<br><br>Take Care,<br>FreightTrain Wayneo<br><br>