24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Thinking about selling

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 11:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didn't mean to raise anyone's temperatures with my comments--I generally try to stay away from that. I have just read so much, and heard so many bad reports--even from Consumer Guide and other "non biased" sources, that I couldn't believe anyone would trade a CTD (even a 24V non-common rail) unit for a 6.0. Over 1000 Ford buy-backs fron 2003.25 says quite a bit as well. Seems if we all take a step back from our norms--we begin to see more clearly. No hard feelings though--whatever you drive!

As for the original question. My father has a 2wd, 4-cylinder 5-speed 1990 Toyota truck. Yes, the engine still runs well--although he's put two radiators on it, four exhaust systems, and smells worse when running than my CTD on a cold start. He barely gets 22mpg at this point. I have hand-recorded 25mpg on the freeway, and even around town in the winter, it's still at just around 18. For 6800 lbs of truck, I don't figure that's too bad. When I finish grad school in May, I plan to purchase a small runabout Civic or Accord to drive daily, and save the CTD for when I head out of town. Perhaps this would be a good option for you? All vechiles I have ever owned loose mileage in the winter.
Old 03-22-2005, 12:07 PM

Originally posted by Shovelhead
You know how much that trailer cost me?.......

Zip, Zilch, Nada....
Only problem was it was soooo small, I had to go outside to change my mind.

Wish I could get one for that price.

~Rob
Old 03-22-2005, 01:58 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
It was a "loaner"
Still, the price was right.
Old 03-22-2005, 03:46 PM

I had a Toyota Tacoma, 1996 SR-5, real SR-5, not just the badged imitations. It was a V-6, lots of power, very reliable, nice fit and finish. We pulled travel trailers for a few years with it and it did OK at best. It was made more for a grocery getter than a truck. Head gasket recall and I had to provide the oil and antifreeze or pay for Toyota products. Who has a recall and then requires the owner to pay for the additional necessary items? Traded it for the Diesel Ram to pull a 5er or whatever I need to. I have no regrets. We bought the Ram to pull with, not to get groceries.

I also have a 99 Dodge Neon R/T, head gasket recall. This car has been perfect. 137,000 miles and still running the orginal front brakes, original clutch. Regular maintenance keeps it moving along. Driven in the occasional AutoCross and spirited 1/8 mile runs. Fit and finish are great. Sunroof motor is the only issue.

My point is you buy a vehicle for a specific purpose. Recently American manufacturers have been gaining ground on foreign auto maker in regards to quality and reliability. The Ram is not a daily go to Walmart kinda truck, it is however one of the best investments for pulling anything and knowing it will last for 250,000 to 500,000 miles, if it is treated with respect, is a plus.

I am kinda Mopar preferred, but I have owned many makes and they have all had issues, some more than others. I guess I have been fortunate not to own any real lemons.