24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Thermostat Prices - Wow!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 09:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thermostat Prices - Wow!!

I received some "sticker shock" yesterday when I called to check on t-stat prices for my 02 truck. Cummins Southern Plaines, here in Fort Worth , has theirs priced at $63.42 and Allen Samuels Dodge, a local dealership, has theirs priced at $56.75. I believe that is the first time a dealership's price has been cheaper than the Cummins store on a part I wanted. I don't know what this new t-stat is made of but it is pretty dang expensive. Two years ago, I bought a 180° t-stat for my truck thinking I would change it out with the OEM 190° t-stat. However, I never did that. Anyway, that t-stat cost about $20 bucks or so as I recall.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:40 AM

I too had "sticker shock" when I recently changed my thermostat. My dealer wanted $76 for the unit and the local Cummins shop sold it for $60. I guess it was a necessary investment because it definately took care of my problem and from previous experience, if you do not replace with a Cummins, you will be replacing it again.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:46 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Part number 14248 at advance auto, $24, one year replacement waranty. It is just a thermostat, a maintenance item. I am not looking for a lifetime warranty on it, it just needs to work.
-P
Old 03-06-2007, 12:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I prefer to stay with a Cummins T-Stat.... but your price quote seems very high.
I run the 180* T-stat for the 5.9L Cummins... PN # 3967195. It works well in the southwest summers and for those with added HP runs much cooler when playing hard or towing heavy. Takes just a bit longer to warm up in the winter but no negative side effects after 2 yrs.

Best I can recall, it cost $34.00, in 2005 from a Cummins parts store (Graham International Trucks, in Sherman, Tx). Southern Plaines should not be any higher. I believe 'Crotex' just bgt one there??

RJ
Old 03-06-2007, 12:46 PM
Chapter President

I got mine at Southwest International in McKinney, Texas for $31.05 plus tax.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:48 PM

just changed mine

i bought a 190 degree one at napa last month. holding that one next to the stock one and studying it for a few minutes, the looked the same, i agree, with a 1yr replacement warranty, not that hard to change again if needed.
Old 03-06-2007, 02:47 PM

... It is just a thermostat, a maintenance item.
Your money...your engine!
'It's just a thermostat'... that Dodge redesigned to allow for faster warmups... and that has killed at least one engine I know of. It's 'just a thermostat' that does not cool as well as my Cummins T-Stat (personal experience) in SW summers. It raises coolant temps quickly if weather is hot and you are towing or playing hard.

It's just a maintenance item.... That's what some use to say about the Fram Oil Filters till they started having problems with weak sidewalls, I believe it was, that could not handle the Cummins oil system.

Cummins parts, or better, for my CTD. Your choice for yours.

RJ
Old 03-06-2007, 05:15 PM

I guess. I am more concerned about fuel quality. I watch temps and pressures closely when I drive so I am not too worried about the t-stat. Besides, I don't know what's in the truck now, and I am driving it. So whats the big deal.
For oil filters, I have Stratapore though. Fuel is a Fleetguard too.
-P
Old 03-06-2007, 06:30 PM
Chapter President

I guess it's hard to know the right answer...manufacturer....or, after market on a lot of parts. My thermostat is not causing a problem right now, but with 190K on it, I'm going to change it out with a Cummins 180* this weekend. I've changed several thermostats and will say that the Cummins truly looks heavy duty.
Old 03-06-2007, 07:34 PM

Bought 2 thermostats from Cummins Midsouth last fall that were in the $20 to $30 range. If they are $60 from Dodge, they should be $30 from Cummins.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by PaulDaisy
Part number 14248 at advance auto, $24, one year replacement waranty. It is just a thermostat, a maintenance item. I am not looking for a lifetime warranty on it, it just needs to work.
-P
I would rather pay more for the factory thermostat than the aftermarket junk. My dealer did not have one when i needed it so i bought one from carquest auto parts in november. It worked close to my original when it was working right. It failed in 45 days so they gave me a replacement. This one is better but still wont heat up like my original did for over 4 years. Plus this one fluctuates a lot maybe 20 degrees or so. I was charged about 27 bucks for the aftermarket and now with the 2nd replacement not 100 percent i will get a oem from the dealer. 3 times is worth the 10 to 20 bucks more to me.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:08 PM

What is so special about this thermostat that it costs $60? I have never heard of a thermostat costing so much!
Old 03-06-2007, 10:12 PM

I agree. If I had a choice of a Cummins part for $35 or Advance for $25, I'd get Cummins, too. If the difference is a factor of 5, I would start contemplating. I am so cheap... want to save every buck I can. Yet, I try to get all the performance possible. Go figure
-P
Old 03-06-2007, 10:26 PM

well Im all for saving money as I squeak as I walk around but something that could mean the difference between walking 20 miles or driving, I think I will buy quality and have the peace of mind knowing that it wont fail when Im 20 miles from no where and have it spewing out coolant all over the engine compartment from 2 or 3 different locations
Old 03-07-2007, 07:43 AM

My apologies to those recomending NAPA...Advanced Auto... etc.
Just reread my post about "only Cummins for me" and my tone sounded critical and sarcastic.
I was trying for informative but missed the mark badly.

For those adding fuel and hp, coolant temps become the limiting factor when working their engines hard. The Cummins T-stat appears to be the most consistant and coolest running under hot conditions. Why such a big difference, I don't know.... but the 180* Cummins T-stat has worked best for me.

RJ

Quick Reply: Thermostat Prices - Wow!!