24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Is there a petcock to drain the coolant?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2004, 06:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there a petcock to drain the coolant?

I was wondering if there is a petcock to drain the coolant. If I am stupid for asking I am sorry, but I looked all over the bottom of the radiator. On my 99 Powerstroke it was right there at the bottom and I looked at the same spot on my 2001 2500 now and it is not there. Last time I drained the coolant I took off the lower radiator hose. Thanks for helping Aaron.
Old 09-11-2004, 06:57 PM

I'm pretty sure there is a petcock, but several people have said that the best method is just like you did last time, remove lower radiator hose.

Just saw your mileage. If it is the original hose, you may want to replace it anyway.
Old 09-12-2004, 01:12 AM

The petcock is on the drivers side of the Radiator, just under the front bumper. You have to lay on the ground and look up at the radiator. If you drain it there (it works well) you acn place a 3' piece of 1/8" fuel line or the equivielant over the nipple and turn the valve open. I'd suggest to go to Geno's garage and it will walk you right through the process.

I did my flush last week, and the only thing that I learned is that you need to turn the valve with a pair of pliers, pull a little bit, then turn again. It should go around about 3/4 to 1 full turn and come out at the same time to get full flow.

Removing the lower rad hose works well also...

Hope this helps.
Old 09-12-2004, 03:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is an O ring on the end of that petcock. Make sure it is in good condition before replacing the petcock. They like to tear up when old. It's a pain to drain new ready mix coolant and change the O ring. Wonder how I know that
Old 09-12-2004, 08:23 AM

Thanks alot for helping me out guys. I bought the truck with 140k miles like 8 months ago and just drained it through the lower radiator hose. Also at 150k I changed the radiator hoses from Cummins and the heater hoses as well. I will try to find the petcock this time as I am at about 12k miles on my coolant. Yes, it is cheap insurance to keep clean fluids in my truck. Most people ask why do you change you oil at 3K, trans at 10k(because its the weakest part of the sys), and coolant at 10-15k, And I say becuase I keep good maintenance and that is the bottom line. When I get ready to sell my truck next year someone will be very happy with the maintenance records and upkeep I have done without a doubt! Thanks
Old 09-12-2004, 09:31 AM

I'm with you fitzydog. You change your fluids even more often than I do. Some would call it a waste of money, but like I have said before, I have never heard anyone say "I could have avoided that repair if I had just NOT changed my fluids so much".

In the grand scheme of things, oil and lubes are cheap, coolant is cheap, and filters are cheap. Peace of mind is worth alot IMO.
Old 09-12-2004, 10:38 PM

Have a look at this:

http://www.dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/coo...antifreeze.htm
Old 09-12-2004, 10:46 PM

Originally posted by Dr. Evil
Have a look at this:

http://www.dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/coo...antifreeze.htm
That mix is bad.... My truck only holds 4 1/2 gallons and doing it that way would be way too much antifreeze. Use distilled water and mix the antifreeze 50/50 before putting it in. Best cooling is slightly less than 50/50 best freeze protection is slightly over 50/50. Other than flushing, I would never put tap water into a vehicle. Thats what plugs radiators.
Old 09-12-2004, 11:18 PM

yes........havent looked at that link for a while....

tap water is bad.....distilled OR demin - thanks for the correction Bill.
Old 09-16-2004, 02:38 AM
Banned

Yall think I should flush mine out? I've got 70k on the original fluid and it's still neon green. Truck doesn't go much over 190* running 75 on a 95* day.
Old 09-16-2004, 03:15 AM

Originally posted by BigBlue
Yall think I should flush mine out? I've got 70k on the original fluid and it's still neon green. Truck doesn't go much over 190* running 75 on a 95* day.
Blue the old rule of thumb for trucks is that the conditioners in antifreeze dissapate in one year. So to be protected fully, it needs to be changed once a year. When you look at the antifreeze and it is not bright green and clean, damage is already done. So if it was me, if the coolant is over one year, change it.
Old 09-16-2004, 05:26 PM
Banned

HID, since your the expert on cooling systems, I'll listen to you. Now, how much coolant/distilled water do I need to do a complete flush.
Old 09-16-2004, 06:48 PM

Originally posted by BigBlue
HID, since your the expert on cooling systems, I'll listen to you. Now, how much coolant/distilled water do I need to do a complete flush.
You got that wrong, I am not an expert on them, for sure. Blue mine uses about 4 1/2 to 4 3/4 but I hear others that claim 5 or 5 1/2, not sure what the deal is, but three gallons of antifreeze will fix you up either way. Also get three gallons of distilled water from the supermarket, mix it half and half and pour it in.
Old 09-16-2004, 08:16 PM
Banned

Considering the work you did on the thermostat, I consider you an expert. Maybe while I'm doing the lift, I'll go ahead and change the coolant. Thanks for the help yall.
Old 05-22-2006, 02:53 PM

So to take this thread one step further, what's a good coolant that is relatively easy to come by?

Quick Reply: Is there a petcock to drain the coolant?