24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Thanks for making me look smart!

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2005, 09:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for making me look smart!

Im a newbie mechanic at an internatinal truck dealership. and the only cummins dealer in 130 miles.

I guess before my time there theyve been having this f750 come in with a 5.9 cummins in it. mechanic just kept replacing injector pumps. Never asked why they failed Cummins wouldnt warrenty this one ( ouch) after 4 in 58k they decided there is some other problem. This guy is one of those know it all kind of guys. He comes in and tells the Service manager why im in there that they wont replace the pump this time. Trying to pull all my knowlage I ask him if it has the p pump or the vp44. he told me vp44. And they kept getting a low voltage reading at the pump. I ask him how the liftpump is. (suprised me it had one, though they might have some other kind of setup) he said he bench tested it at 9psi which was above the spec. ( Im thinkin well ive been doing good so far) Asked him if he flow tested it. He said no it wasnt required. Im like hum. Lets go do that. The service manager was like how d oyou know this? Im like well I own 4 of the engines, and that black one outside is putting down 468 hp, at the wheels, So it established me

so we go out and runthe test. Came up that it was just meeting the flow rate at the set cruise speed which was something like 2100 he said. but after callin cummins i guess it was still at spec. which suprised me I mean its feeding it JUST enough. My thought was now what if your really workin it ? But hey im the kid what do i know?

Anyway heres his fix. He ran a wire right to the pump to supply (injector pump by the way) the 12v it needed. and one from the ECM. Its such a mess. No wonder Cummins wont touch it. the driver was all upset that cummins wouldnt do anything. I just gave him a few pointers that the dodge used. We took a look at that ( it was my lunch time) Hes like you can do allthis wit hthat engine? Im like you betcha. So i got his reccomendation next time his truck comes in somehow he belives it wont work, i wonder why. hes like if this happens again im commin straight to you. Im like no problem.

Could get myself my own service contract. that wouldnt be all so bad.

Sorry for the long post. just had to let my story fly haha
Old 01-22-2005, 05:36 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's a great feeling when you get to help someone. Your a year older than I am and it makes me proud when older people ask me for help. Congrats on your first customer.
Old 01-22-2005, 08:56 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Just cause your old doesn't mean you know everything. You young guys know this for sure . But remember, with age comes experience, and years of knowledge. Some of us old guys know how to apply it, and some think we know it all which is not true either. Technology changes so fast none of us can keep up with it all.

But one thing is for sure. You'll be old someday too!

Congrats on getting it right for your customer. Sounds like you are well on your way to being a good mechanic.