24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Thank you everyone.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2005, 07:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Thank you everyone.....

.....for tips, tricks, and advice for changing lift pumps.

This past Tuesday evening while I was driving home, the fuel pressure dropped to 5 psi. I was noticing the pressure varying a little more the last few weeks, but everything seemed ok. Well, I knew I needed to replace the pump so I limped it home, watching to be sure I had enough pressure to stay out of the red area on my FP gauge. When I got home, I checked the starter bump and the lift pump was definitely much noisier than I have ever heard it. I called NAPA, and was told it would be 2 days (I called after the cutoff for next day parts deliverey) and ~$270.00 for the replacement. I said, "I don't think so! I can get one from Dodge much cheaper than that!" Besides, I needed to leave at 0600 Wednesday to attend a conference for the rest of the week! Well -- I packed up my boys and headed to the Cummins service provider in Cedar Rapids. Not only did they have the lift pump in stock, but the parts dealer signed me up for a Cummins Power discount card, gave me a deep discount on my lift pump, and talked shop about the new engines vs, old engines, etc. Long story short is I got my new lift pump, new washers for the banjo bolts, a new Stratopore fuel and oil filter, and great service, all for less than the list price he quoted me for the pump $162 and change! I was thrilled!

Install went ok, except the old pump had one nut that siezed, three threads from the end. Naturally, it wasn't easy to access, especially after the stud turned out fcrom the old pump! Removing the fuel filter housing was great advice and made this task much easier.

I now have 16.5 psi at idle, 14 psi cruising, and 11.5 - 12 WO. Thanks for the advice to watch the FP, To remove the Fuel Filter housing, To check Cummins for the part at a good price, and all the other great tips and tricks I have gotten from you fine fellows of DTR.

I don't know how to tell, but the LP I removed looked like it could be the original for my truck. I doubt it could last so long (180+k miles) but I suppose it is possible. I love my truck.