24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Temporary power loss

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 05:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Temporary power loss

Good morning all,

2001 Ram, EZ EDGE attached, 5 speed w/63K on the clock. This morning on my normal commute I experienced a power reduction twice taking off from a light through all the gears, nothing I have ever felt before (very poor excelleration). When giving it the juice, it just did not want to excellerate hardly at all. After going for a bit, it seemed to pick up as normal and performed as usual, like something kicked in. Only did it at two out of the 5 - 6 lights that I normally stop at. Could this be the lift pump (still the stock LP)? Could it be the EDGE acting up?

I am fairly new to the deisel world and have heard that lift pumps in the year model I own ARE an issue, but have not had time to install a fuel pressure guage yet (you bet that's gonna happen right away now) so I really do not know what to expect with that problem, or how it should react/feel.

I made it to work fine, but I gotta get home yet this afternoon. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:14 AM
Registered

Sounds like DEAD PEADLE to me. Check for codes with the key trick. You can search dead peadle and read for days, but when it's all said and done you will need a new vp44. Your lift pump could have been dead a long time and you haven know it, and that kills your IP (vp44), SO, that pressure gauge is very needed.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by blackdiesel
Sounds like DEAD PEADLE to me. Check for codes with the key trick. You can search dead peadle and read for days, but when it's all said and done you will need a new vp44. Your lift pump could have been dead a long time and you haven know it, and that kills your IP (vp44), SO, that pressure gauge is very needed.
Since I am still under factory warranty, and will be replacing the LP with an aftermarket one, should I drive until it takes a dump and have the *********** replace the LP and injector pump, then take off the new factory LP and replace it with one of my choosing leaving the new factory pump as a spare?

What are the consequences of doing the above mentioned other than destroying the injector pump, any harm other than?
Old 06-26-2007, 12:47 PM
Registered

Did you get the codes? If so take it to the dealer now. They will put the lift pump in the tank, depending on the HP you are shooting for, that could be good or bad.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:12 PM

I've been having a similar problem. When sitting idle and increaseing rpms my truck will start smoking and cutting out like its a lack of air or fuel. Whe going down the road it will hang at an rpm until I pump it a few times then put it to the floor. Changed the lift pump and still didn't help. Dealer said check for codes and it will more than likely be the injection pump. Anyone else have a take on this?