24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

in-tank lift pump ?s

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2006, 02:56 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Good news on these Walbro Threads,.......at least "Superduty" isn't here anymore!

------
OPIE:

Your figures look right to me. And I agree that the "Flow Charts" aren't accurate. As you are probably aware, we have been over this before too!
Also there is no way the flow vs pressure is right either! I would like to see what you personally come up with when you are done with all of your testing. OPIE,....one thing I know about you versus others is you really are into "real world testing" as you said and I know that because I have POUNDED the heck out of your billet transmissions shafts and have not broke one yet!! So,.....keep us posted on these flow/pressure tests on these pumps when you have time!

---------
trik396:

Glad to hear you like your Walbro! You mentioned how some of the members arrived at using a Holley Pump. Well,.....I hate to disagree with you, but in my case, you are wrong! Not to start a war over this pump situation again, but it looks to me like you and a few others here went to the Walbro Pumps because "Superduty" told you THEY were the best!! So,.....what are we talking about here?? The fact is, I personally tried several different pumps BEFORE going to a Holley,....two of which were three (3) times as expensive as the Holley AND didn't last as long!! It is your OPINION that a Holley or any other carb pump doesn't belong on a diesel truck. Fine. That's your opinion, but the fact is there are alot of them and others on Dodge, Ford and Chevy Diesel Pickup Trucks all across the U.S., some of which have been on those trucks for a long time, including mine! It is not "blind loyalty" as you put it or "because I read it on the net!" And there are now probably even more guys running the FASS Systems which those in your "camp" don't like either. You know,.....I wish you guys would just "state the facts" on your personal experiences with the Walbro and "leave it at that!" Time will tell if these Walbro Pumps last like Superduty told all of you they would.
You running your Walbro for 1500 miles with no problems doesn't really show me a whole lot! My Holley Red has been on my 2002 now for 25,000 miles with no problems. I see 20-22 at idle and the pump NEVER gets below 16! I have no hesitation either. And if it ever does fail, I can go into ANY "Advanced Auto Parts" Store in the U.S. and get another one!

Keep us posted on how that Walbro does for you!

-------
John_P
Old 03-11-2006, 05:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
John P... it's ok if you disagree with me because my wife does it all the time ... and if I'm wrong about the Holley pump situation, it isn't the first time. Honestly, if I thought a Holley would do me any good, I'd have saved a bunch of money because I have a blue and red on my shelf in the garage. I also have a Mallory... just never thought to use those in this type of application. Superduty's input or not. Your Holley red putting out 20-22psi when it's rated for 7psi is a little stretched, isn't it??? I know you can change the spring and get higher pressures, but...?
I never said I didn't like the FASS. Matter of fact, I'm using some of their parts in my fuel system right now (pickup tube, etc.) I did say that I think the FASS is overpriced. And I don't belong to any "camp"... Last time I was sent to a "camp" it wasn't because I got along well with others... lets just leave it at that... ....
I will keep you posted as to my setup. Sorry I only have 1600miles so far, there's not much I can do about that except keep on truckin'..
We'll all have to agree to disagree about certain things. And that's just the way life is. I look forward to all opinions on these boards. So let me hear em'..

Tony
Old 03-11-2006, 07:10 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by John_P
Good news on these Walbro Threads,.......at least "Superduty" isn't here anymore!

John_P
If you need me, I'll be over at www.dadada.com

Can I interject and say that I'm having success with my Carter pump?
Old 03-11-2006, 10:32 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
trik396:

Thanks for the reply.

FWIW,....I already had a different fuel tank pickup and -8 stainless steel braided line all the way from my fuel tank to the VP-44 along with larger custom built banjo bolts way before I ever installed that Holley Pump. Thus, the difference in my pressures versus that of a bone stock truck. "Trik",....I realize that the Holley Red is not going to put out the kind of pressure that the Walbro 392 is going to. They are different types of fuel pumps used in different applications. I haven't touched the spring on mine although you are right, some of the guys running them do stretch them some and it does give more pressure when that is done. In talking with several certified Bosch VP-44 Pump Technicians over the last few years, I have been told that the pressure to the VP-44 pumps should not exceed 24lbs. This is from guys that rebuild these pumps on a daily basis. These same technicians have also told me that the lowest pressure they should see is about 5-8lbs. So,....no more than 24lbs. and no less than say 5lbs. I know there are some who would argue with these numbers, but that is what I have been told. Early on, it was my understanding that the guys that were trying the Walbro Fuel Pumps who had the 98.5-2002 Dodge CTD 24 valve trucks were struggling with the regulators to keep pressure below 30lbs! Do you know if that problem has been solved now?? The CP-3 on the 2003-2006 Dodge CTD CR trucks is a different animal than my 2002 with the VP-44 and the pressure requirements are different also.

My apologies to you on the comment I made reference you being in a "camp".
I guess I could have picked a better analogy for that but at the time that is what came to my head! What I meant, was that you were in a small group of people including: "Sea01Cummer", "bmallen", "piperca" and "Superduty" that were trying to go to the Walbro Fuel Pump. Let me also say that even if you do agree 100% with "Superduty",.....IMO,....you have been MUCH more "diplomatic" about trying to get your ideas and points across about the Walbro Pumps to the members of this website! I also meant no disrespect to you on the number of miles you had on the Walbro Pump. The number of miles, time spent running etc. are just things that I think are important with these aftermarket fuel pumps, regardless of which one we choose. The availability of a replacement pump on the road in anywhere U.S.A. should a failure occur is another point that I feel is important.

Finally,.....your right,....."we can agree to disagree!" I agree with you on that "trik!" And I have no problem at all with that as long as we can all respect each other here, which,....IMO,......is where "Superduty" was wrong!

Again,.......please keep us posted on how the Walbro Pump does for you!

------------
Respectfully,

John_P
Old 03-12-2006, 02:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 03-12-2006, 11:29 AM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
I don't want to add fuel to the fire here, but I should throw in my observation. I've been working on Dodge and Ford diesel trucks, as a technician, for many years now and, not surprisingly, I have replaced many lift pumps on VP44-equipped trucks. 99 and newer Powerstroke trucks are equipped with an inline electric fuel pump as well, but it works at a much higher pressure than the Dodge unit. I believe this unit is a Bosch, but it seems to be a similar design as the Walbro. Anyway, my point is that these Powerstroke trucks seem to go hundreds of thousands of miles without lift pump failure. I have actually only ever seen one of these fail. Granted, I believe proper location of the pump is half the battle, but I am truly impressed by these pumps, and if my truck was a 24 valve, you can guarantee that's what I'd be installing.