24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Stripped Trans pan bolt(s)

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2006, 07:18 AM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Stripped Trans pan bolt(s)

Okay, so I changed my diff's and trans fluid/filter yesterday. I have a FSM but for the life of me couldn't figure out where the torque spec's for the trans. pan are?
DTR was down (atleast for me??) for hours last night, so no help there.

I can tell you the # is NOT 30 ft.lbs cause I spun two of them out.
Little loc-tite on them and got them as tight as they would go without stripping more.
This sucks, all was going well unitl then. Anyway, I hope I'll be okay, no leaks as of yet this morning. I ran it last night to get everything moving and check levels.

I guess worst case, I can drop the pan again and do something with the holes?? I suppose as long as it'd going to hold fluid I'll leave messed up enough alone.
Any thoughts?
Old 01-21-2006, 07:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think you cranked 'em just a bit too tight: 125 in/lbs. In the PDF version of the FSM they're on page 145 for the 46RE, page 315 for the 47RE. On the positive side, you might be able to get a job at the factory putting on oil filters.

I'm glad I have a 5600; I'd have to buy a new torque wrench. Even if you divide by 12 and figure ~10 ft/lbs, mine doesn't read that low.
Old 01-21-2006, 07:43 AM
P.J
Banned

Not too bright huh? Right at the end of a project I got rammy.

Next truck will be a manual.

Anyone else as stupid as I was? Am I going to leak? Should I be proactive, take the pan down and fix them or ignore it till next time?
Old 01-21-2006, 07:48 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Better fix them now, it will leak.

Sorry dude.
Old 01-21-2006, 07:54 AM
P.J
Banned

Originally Posted by Geico266
Better fix them now, it will leak.

Sorry dude.
Any suggestions on how to, with what?

Heck, I might be at 10 ft. lbs with the thread locker and stipped hole??

Thats like, a nudge over hand tight!

feelingstupidonasaturday
Old 01-21-2006, 08:04 AM

Are the bolts out of the holes? Just the threads missing?

If so you'll need to get a set of EASY LOC "replacement threads". Basically, you tap the hole and thread in these "replacement threads" so you can use the same size bolt. They are used all the time for repairs.

http://www.fulltorque.com/ffb.htm
http://www.ezlok.com/
Old 01-21-2006, 08:08 AM
P.J
Banned

Originally Posted by Geico266
Are the bolts out of the holes? Just the threads missing?

If so you'll need to get a set of "replacement threads". I can't think of the name of it right now. Basically, you tap the hole and thread in these "replacement threads" so you can use the same size bolt. They are used all the time for repairs.
Nah, the bolts are in and not sloppy, but when I pulled them out after realizing they just went from tight to loose again, there were alum. threads on my bolts.

I slapped some loc-tite on there and put them back in till I was afraid to tighten any more.

I was thinking about the new threads product, need to look into a few of those today. My truck is very kind to me, nice and tight, no rigs, no shortcuts. I hate the thought of waiting for a leak...........
Old 01-21-2006, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by P.J
Nah, the bolts are in a nd not sloppy, but when I pulled them out after realizing they just went from tight to loose again, there were alum. threads on my bolts.

I slapped some loc-tite on there and put them back in till I was afraid to tighten any more.

I was thinking about the new threads product, need to look into a few of those today. My truck is very kind to me, nice and tight, no rigs, no shortcuts. I hate the thought of waiting for a leak...........
I would think you could get "thread replacement" products at a local auto parts store. Call around. Pretty easy to do. Click on the ezloc link above. There is a video showing you have to do it.
Old 01-21-2006, 08:16 AM
P.J
Banned

Thank's a lot Geico, you made me feel better about it already.

Last night, after some choice words showing my anger in myself, my son crouched down next to the truck and said "Are you going to have to get a new Transmission?"

He learns from his Dad's mistakes I guess.

Thanks again buddy.
Old 01-21-2006, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by P.J
Thank's a lot Geico, you made me feel better about it already.

Last night, after some choice words showing my anger in myself, my son crouched down next to the truck and said "Are you going to have to get a new Transmission?"

He learns from his Dad's mistakes I guess.

Thanks again buddy.
Heli Coil! Thats what I was trying to think of. They are the Cadillac.
http://www.emhart.com/products/helicoil.html

Everyone breaks something once in awhile. Give yourself a break. I was cleaning my AIT sensor and snapped off the cage putting it back in. If the cage would have fallin in it would have been an engine tear down! $90 later (overnight new sensor) I was done. Stuff happens.

BTW, I would just tighten bolts snug and forget it. Torquing bolts on pans is a waste of time in my book. Just be consistant and don't over tighten. Let the gasket do its thing.
Old 01-21-2006, 09:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep, Helicoils. I did the same thing on the heads on an old F100 that I used to have. Torque wrench malfunctioned on me and I stripped a couple of holes putting one of the valve covers back on. Drilled, tapped, stuck the Helicoil in there, good to go. Thing leaked like a sieve from every seal on the motor, but not at the valve covers.
Old 01-21-2006, 11:49 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've got 2 stripped trans pan bolts. Going on 15k with no leaks. I don't worry about it.