24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Stoped running in trafic?????

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 06:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Stoped running in trafic?????

i am working on a 2002 cummins with 145K and she stoped running the middle of traffic today. When i tried starting the truck it did not ant to start. No smoke.tried starting for like 5 minutes. Then i pulled filter and sprayed some brake clean down the hatch and turned it over for like half a minute and then she went. JUST LUCK>>> so i am woundering if it could be anything else then just the intank pump? I am a powerstroke mechanic about 90% of the time and every once in a while i get a cummins to tinker with so more help the better.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:43 PM

OMG dont try spraying things in there again again, intake pre-heater will ignite it in the intake and blow everything apart.... if this is infact what you are doing. Unlike a powerstroke(glowplugs) the cummins uses a toaster-like heater element right below the intake elbow before the intake manifold. There is normally a large decal explaining not to use starting fluid due to risk of serious injury or death.
I agree with the lift pump theory, fix it fast before the VP goes out.
Good luck, Fred.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:24 PM

well i love to blow stuff up, thanks for the heads up. But i have never had a problem before. on this 02 is there a lift pump on the side of the fuel filter bowl? is the electric pump in the tank? and is there another pump other then what i have just asked about? maybe somthing that i am missing. (other then the powerstroke under the hood)
Old 09-26-2008, 05:04 PM

If it has the outer lift pump, it will be on the engine block, behind the filter assembly. Looking at the fuel filter, it will be behind that and lower on the engine than the filter. If it has the intake pump, you will have to drop the tank to check it out. First I would install a fuel pressure gauge and check for PSI at the IP.
Old 09-27-2008, 12:32 PM

well the lift pump that i am replacing is mounted right on the back side of the filter housing NOT ON THE MOTOR. it sits on the right side of the filter housing and even bolts to the filter housing. would like to know if there is an adapter for the old lift pump to plug new fuel line from new airtex frame mounted pump. thanks for your guys help again.
Old 09-27-2008, 03:00 PM

They were leaving the pump on the side of the block even if they put a new pump in the tank, dont ask me why but on my buddys truck they put the pump in the tank and left the stock one on the block. He had this done at the dealership under warranty so I guess they were just trying to confuse everyone. Try checking the FP first. My truck ran just fine with no fuel pressure and I have no idea how long it was that way but the VP is still ticking (knock on wood). I guess i got lucky this time. I havent seen a pump on the side of the filter housing so i am curious what is going on there.
Old 09-27-2008, 03:15 PM

well to stop the confussion i have figured out why i was llost. ITS A 2003, and now i am done with it and it is awesome. Truck runs better and better throttle response and fire up. Airtex is the way to go from now on. thanks again
Old 09-27-2008, 03:16 PM

Oh thought i would let everyone know where i got all my parts cause i live in Vancouver, wa . Vulconperformance.com
Old 09-27-2008, 04:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sooo, your the one that was holding up traffic??? Just kidding. I take it you are a diesel mechanic? Not that I need one but it's always good to know. I live not far from Eric and have gotten to know him. Very good guy to deal with and does his level best to be the best there is with the best prices, if possible.